Are we too nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big bobs beard

Player Valuation: £8m
Thought this for ages, but after the Rojo tackle which was a cert red card, the fact that Gana just got up and tried to play on guaranteed the yellow and let the ref bottle it. How often do most players roll in agony and bang the floor which would have put the ref under enormous pressure to give a red? Arsenal, City and the RS are masters at it, after every tackle even they lose they hit the floor either long enough for the free kick, or stay down long enough for the game to be stopped. Personally I hate it and it is the one thing that ruins the modern game for me, but I feel we do get punished for the 'get on with it' attitude and we are just not snide enough compared to most teams, should we just do the same? A ten man united would have struggled yesterday.

Thought this for ages, but after the Rojo tackle which was a cert red card, the fact that Gana just got up and tried to play on guaranteed the yellow and let the ref bottle it. How often do most players roll in agony and bang the floor which would have put the ref under enormous pressure to give a red? Arsenal, City and the RS are masters at it, after every tackle even they lose they hit the floor either long enough for the free kick, or stay down long enough for the game to be stopped. Personally I hate it and it is the one thing that ruins the modern game for me, but I feel we do get punished for the 'get on with it' attitude and we are just not snide enough compared to most teams, should we just do the same? A ten man united would have struggled yesterday.

I agree with the statement that we're too nice, but for me, there are ways of playing and still keeping our integrity. I don't want to watch our players feigning injury because it's cheating and is not what I want to see out of our players.

What I do agree on is when we don't get in the ref's face, or when we allow snides like Ibrahimovic to get away with certain things. I accept that he's huge so squaring up to him might be a bit daunting lol, but going through him in a tackle is justified based on how he strolls round the pitch like he owns it, and gets away with his sly kick to Coleman's head.

The likes of Cahill, and even those like Anichebe from Moyes time here used to let it be known to the opposition if they were unhappy with something. This lot now are far too friendly on the pitch.

Aye we are too nice, everyone likes good old plucky Everton, except when we have the temerity to score against one of the media darlings.

Throw-ins are a prime example, we never contest or complain about which way they're supposed to go. The most obvious ones, to the ones where the ref has no clue and just guesses judging by the direction the ball goes.

It might not be good sportsmanship to claim a throw after you've booted it 10 rows into stand, but **** that! This gentleman's club bollocks really irks me. You're there to win, everything! The match, a header, a throw-in, the lot.

Maybe only Del & Mirallas have a bit of gamesmanship about then, Mirallas just because he comes across as a snide and Del because of the culture he's been brought up in.

It's something throughout the entire club though, no leaders, no nutters, no nothing, did Koeman even get out of his seat after that Rojo tackle?!

I get what you mean, but no, I don't think we're too nice. I respect the fact that we are not full of cheats. If we started rolling around on the floor faking injury, then we'd be one step (perhaps two... Oh go on then, still several) away from being that frightful, cheating shower across the park.

I'm genuine when I say that I'd rather not win than be a cheat. This is still a sport.

Then again it would be nice to see refs recognise this so that the playacting is unnecessary. I'd back a panel reviewing games to penalise the divers, and the actors. I think that's the right way to beat the cheats, rather than joining them.

It's obvious we're too nice, too professional, too sporting.

From kicking the ball out of play under Martinez as quickly as possible when an opposition player was on the floor - regardless of for how long or knowing if they were even injured or not - to not realising how weak and poor officials are and refusing to 'play the game', if you will.

Other teams do it and it gains them points. Rojo deserved a straight red card, and Gueye's refusal to put the referee under pressure (and you could say our players' refusal to pressure him) allowed Oliver to make a weak decision and just pull out the yellow. Had United been a man down half way through first half I am sure we'd have won.

Coleman, gets kicked in the face by Ibrahimovic and doesn't even make a deal about it. 10 minutes later it's him suffering as he's brought off injured, while Ibrahimovic ends the game having scored a sensational goal and heralded a hero.

It's sickening. We've lost so many games and points from not realising what needs to be done / refusing to 'lower' ourselves to other teams' levels regarding pressure on officials, etc.

Remember when Andy Johnson was basically ruined by the media / managerial witch hunt regarding his 'diving'? Did the same thing happen with Jamie Vardy last year when Leicester were awarded 14 penalties? No.

It's obvious we're too nice, too professional, too sporting.

From kicking the ball out of play under Martinez as quickly as possible when an opposition player was on the floor - regardless of for how long or knowing if they were even injured or not - to not realising how weak and poor officials are and refusing to 'play the game', if you will.

Other teams do it and it gains them points. Rojo deserved a straight red card, and Gueye's refusal to put the referee under pressure (and you could say our players' refusal to pressure him) allowed Oliver to make a weak decision and just pull out the yellow. Had United been a man down half way through first half I am sure we'd have won.

Coleman, gets kicked in the face by Ibrahimovic and doesn't even make a deal about it. 10 minutes later it's him suffering as he's brought off injured, while Ibrahimovic ends the game having scored a sensational goal and heralded a hero.

It's sickening. We've lost so many games and points from not realising what needs to be done / refusing to 'lower' ourselves to other teams' levels regarding pressure on officials, etc.

Remember when Andy Johnson was basically ruined by the media / managerial witch hunt regarding his 'diving'? Did the same thing happen with Jamie Vardy last year when Leicester were awarded 14 penalties? No.

The bold bit infuriated me. All you had was Gareth Barry and a half-arsed Leighton Baines make any sort of pressure on the referee. Barry to his credit kept on giving the verbals to Ibrahimovic as they moved to the half way line for the free kick, but that was it.

We've had a squad of wimps ever since the early days of Moyes, because we always wanted the right "fit" in terms of personality for the squad.

They're not winners, and they never will be. Talent without wanting to do anything necessary to win is wasted talent.

More of this please

article-0-0024C4A000000258-236_468x470.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.