Homepage Article Are we really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Murray

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
I don’t know if this opinion piece is a rant, an epiphany or both but before I start, I don’t want the title misleading people. So, pitchforks down lads, I’m not suggesting we deserve to be in the bottom three because we certainly don’t. However, the point I am trying to make is… are we really as good as some Blues make out?

Cast your
mind back to early August, the week before we played Palace, for talks sake,
and most Blues on Twitter or on the Grand Old Team forum were talking excitedly
about how United, Chelsea and Arsenal were all there for the taking. The talk
was that we could get top 6 this season with some even mentioning top 4. I’ll
admit, even I got excited and yes, the opportunity is of course there, as
Leicester are currently proving. However, those confident predictions and that expectancy
come with the presumption that we’re the best team outside the so called “Big Six.”

Are we?

That line of
thought is completely ignoring many other clubs, for...

Continue reading...

I've said it before, Silva is using this squad so bad and in the wrong way that he's convinced people we haven't got a good team. We have a squad that COULD achieve top 6 especially this season with the way it's shaping out for Arsenal/Spurs/United we have a very good chance if we didn't fluff such an easy start.
This is the most talented Everton team that I've witnessed since the Smith tenure.

The table doesn't lie.. Even with a better manager this squad is a shambles. No leaders or winners..
The one leader we do have isn't performing on the pitch at all .
We don't have a bottom three squad but we certainly don't have a top 8 .

I've said it before, Silva is using this squad so bad and in the wrong way that he's convinced people we haven't got a good team. We have a squad that COULD achieve top 6 especially this season with the way it's shaping out for Arsenal/Spurs/United we have a very good chance if we didn't fluff such an easy start.
This is the most talented Everton team that I've witnessed since the Smith tenure.

As I keep saying, we had 5 players Brands brought in on the bench last game.

Yet people have spent the last week calling Brands all sorts for leaving Silva short.

We will see how good or bad this squad is when we get a manager that uses it, instead of 1 that plays the same failing players every week.

We’re not this bad. No. Silva should be doing better. But the reality is we’re not all that good either. We lie somewhere in between.

As a fanbase we are extremely bipolar and have zero balance to our opinions. A win against any team and we’re telling everyone that will listen that all is well and we’re knocking on the door of the top four. If it’s a succession of wins or a win against an established top six team, that opinion becomes more ingrained in our fanbase, more widespread and more militant.

A defeat and we’ll question everything from the players, the manager, the board and even turn on each other as fans. As above, if it’s a succession of defeats or a defeat against a team we perceive as “beneath us” (which is essentially any non top-six team), those opinions become more ingrained, more widespread and more militant.

In both circumstances, you’ll have the contrarians who will insist on broadcasting the minority opinion, irrespective of whether they truly believe it or not. Which is why we have those ardently defending Silva and Brands now. And when things were great toward the end of last season, you had those who were scathing in their criticism of both.

It’s a wonderful place.

The players are worse than people think but they’re not bottom three standard. If the top 6 were as strong as usual the fans couldn’t complain if we were 8th. The fact that the second place team is only just posting 2 points per game though and we’re in the bottom 3 is a disgrace.

We’re not this bad. No. Silva should be doing better. But the reality is we’re not all that good either. We lie somewhere in between.

As a fanbase we are extremely bipolar and have zero balance to our opinions. A win against any team and we’re telling everyone that will listen that all is well and we’re knocking on the door of the top four. If it’s a succession of wins or a win against an established top six team, that opinion becomes more ingrained in our fanbase, more widespread and more militant.

A defeat and we’ll question everything from the players, the manager, the board and even turn on each other as fans. As above, if it’s a succession of defeats or a defeat against a team we perceive as “beneath us” (which is essentially any non top-six team), those opinions become more ingrained, more widespread and more militant.

In both circumstances, you’ll have the contrarians who will insist on broadcasting the minority opinion, irrespective of whether they truly believe it or not. Which is why we have those ardently defending Silva and Brands now. And when things were great toward the end of last season, you had those who were scathing in their criticism of both.

It’s a wonderful place.
Great summary mate, kind of what I was trying to get at in an objective manner. I love the club but we've been stagnating for a long time and a few seasons with a rich owner isn't going to change that, but time will but we need to start with better coaching staff and improve the recruitment further.

Great summary mate, kind of what I was trying to get at in an objective manner. I love the club but we've been stagnating for a long time and a few seasons with a rich owner isn't going to change that, but time will but we need to start with better coaching staff and improve the recruitment further.

That's the plan mate, we've just veered off course the last couple of seasons for a combination of reasons. It's too simplistic (although tempting) to park all of blame at Silva's door.

lol I wrote it mate not a kopite

Anything even remotely negative..... clearly a RS WUM. lol

As I keep saying, we had 5 players Brands brought in on the bench last game.

Yet people have spent the last week calling Brands all sorts for leaving Silva short.

We will see how good or bad this squad is when we get a manager that uses it, instead of 1 that plays the same failing players every week.
I called out both in the article for different reasons, do think Brands left us short in areas but ultimately where we are in the league falls mainly on Silvas shoulders due to his stubbornness and persistence with tactics that don't work for us

Status
Not open for further replies.