• Dont understand the question

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnfred 55

Player Valuation: £80m
@Crimhead

Help me out here guys. I was called out yesterday for suggesting in the Rennes match thread that we were getting caught out employing a defensive high line. The poster was of the opinion that we weren't and that Silva doesn't normally employ such tactics.

Now I don't know enough about Silva to comment on what his usual tactics are, but I thought I understood what a defensive high line is. Maybe I don't and that's the problem.

But in yesterday's game, as in the other pre season games I've watched so far, I'm convinced we were playing a high line. When we were on the attack or were pressing high inside the Rennes half, our defence was at least on the half way line. In fact, there were countless times during the game that all 10 outfield players were in the Rennes half. When pressing in midfield, our defensive line was at least half way up our own half, and at no point during the game was the distance between the midfield and defence anymore than 20 metres. Plus every goal we conceded yesterday, plus the one against Porto, was a result of our defence being caught well up the pitch. We were beaten for pace in behind the back 4, usually following turnover of the ball deep inside the Rennes half.

So, have we been playing a high line? What's your view?

@Crimhead

Help me out here guys. I was called out yesterday for suggesting in the Rennes match thread that we were getting caught out employing a defensive high line. The poster was of the opinion that we weren't and that Silva doesn't normally employ such tactics.

Now I don't know enough about Silva to comment on what his usual tactics are, but I thought I understood what a defensive high line is. Maybe I don't and that's the problem.

But in yesterday's game, as in the other pre season games I've watched so far, I'm convinced we were playing a high line. When we were on the attack or were pressing high inside the Rennes half, our defence was at least on the half way line. In fact, there were countless times during the game that all 10 outfield players were in the Rennes half. When pressing in midfield, our defensive line was at least half way up our own half, and at no point during the game was the distance between the midfield and defence anymore than 20 metres. Plus every goal we conceded yesterday, plus the one against Porto, was a result of our defence being caught well up the pitch. We were beaten for pace in behind the back 4, usually following turnover of the ball deep inside the Rennes half.

The word defence is stretching it.

I don’t think it’s ever been in question that we are paying a high line? That’s what you need to do to press the opposition and win the ball back quickly.

@Crimhead

I don't know but I have to say I'm impressed that you:
State what you think and why, rationally.
Invite a discussion, admitting that you may be incorrect.
Awesome. I wish we'd all do this more. If I could like more than once I would.

I don’t think it’s ever been in question that we are paying a high line? That’s what you need to do to press the opposition and win the ball back quickly.
That's what I thought. Here's the post in question
Siggy was the one that created all our opportunities besides what Ricarlison did. Some of you have to get comfortable with the fact that he's not a holding midfielder. Sorry. But when he gets the ball he creates. His service was also outstanding.

I do agree with much of the above other than the fact that we do not play a high line. I'm not sure where anyone has gotten this idea, but we don't.

agreed, you can't press high and have a low block. the two are the exact opposites.

@Barnfred 55

I think you're both correct.

When i think of a high line it means when attacking our defence sits on the half way line. Remember the United side with Giggs and Keane in their prime when they dominated teams?

When defending they will only be caught out by a ball over the top or a through ball if the opposition has more pace.

Give or take 10 yards or so...thats a high line.

However, how to tell? Our centre backs are slow and so we have no real idea where Silva wants them to be, perhaps theyre meant to be higher up but are caught in 2 minds as they have no pace?

Silva has played both a high line and also a deep defence depending on the sides he has managed.

Its not so important in this case -- whats important is that these players cant play a high line

Perhaps Silva is daft to play this way BUT he can either sacrifice tactics to help the CBs who will be replaced OR play this way to show the rest of the side how he wants to play.

We wont know until the 1st match and then see what evolves over the season.

i think it's fair to say none of the players know what they're doing, i can't blame the manager, because they've been doing it since martinez' first season. They're just clueless. Our defenders are so crap on the ball that they stand there like lemons, going backwards and sideways, they look for someone to drop from midfield for an easy pass, so then they either look long, they either hoof it aimlessly or take an extra three touches, before then passing it to the midfidlder who is now crowded out 3 on 1 and they get tackled and before we know it we're outnumbered 5 to 3.

Every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.