Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Dont understand the question

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Barnfred 55

I think you're both correct.

When i think of a high line it means when attacking our defence sits on the half way line. Remember the United side with Giggs and Keane in their prime when they dominated teams?

When defending they will only be caught out by a ball over the top or a through ball if the opposition has more pace.

Give or take 10 yards or so...thats a high line.

However, how to tell? Our centre backs are slow and so we have no real idea where Silva wants them to be, perhaps theyre meant to be higher up but are caught in 2 minds as they have no pace?

Silva has played both a high line and also a deep defence depending on the sides he has managed.

Its not so important in this case -- whats important is that these players cant play a high line

Perhaps Silva is daft to play this way BUT he can either sacrifice tactics to help the CBs who will be replaced OR play this way to show the rest of the side how he wants to play.

We wont know until the 1st match and then see what evolves over the season.

I hope its this and some new CBs. I doubt it tho.

@Barnfred 55

I think you're both correct.

When i think of a high line it means when attacking our defence sits on the half way line. Remember the United side with Giggs and Keane in their prime when they dominated teams?

When defending they will only be caught out by a ball over the top or a through ball if the opposition has more pace.

Give or take 10 yards or so...thats a high line.

However, how to tell? Our centre backs are slow and so we have no real idea where Silva wants them to be, perhaps theyre meant to be higher up but are caught in 2 minds as they have no pace?

Silva has played both a high line and also a deep defence depending on the sides he has managed.

Its not so important in this case -- whats important is that these players cant play a high line

Perhaps Silva is daft to play this way BUT he can either sacrifice tactics to help the CBs who will be replaced OR play this way to show the rest of the side how he wants to play.

We wont know until the 1st match and then see what evolves over the season.
This is where the alarm bells start to ring,this is a squad that struggled with Allardyces formation.No way were we going to get rid of enough of them to get in the players to fit into a far more dynamic game plan.

@CRIMHEAD

And all others who have been interested so far.

If you like, please give your definition of a 'high defensive line' (HDL) pre-match, as you please. Then we can watch the game with this in mind and have a good chat about it afterwards.

I will cite this video by Tifo football as my own benchmark:

Points of note;

25 metres between the front and the back of the team.
A 'sweeper-keeper'
HDL works when the front players press so that the ball behind our defence can't be accurate.
Our defence must be skilled at laying the offside trap.
The Linos must be competent to give oppo players offside.
It would be better if our defenders were fast enough to recover if the trap or Lino fails.

We are playing with a disjointed defence.......

Yeah

It did actually look high in the early parts of the first half, then dropped deeper throughout, corresponding to my falling levels of interest in the game and Everton's performance overall.

A centre back pairing of a 35 year old who's legs have gone and a 25 year old weak minded player who isn't strong enough.

In front of them is a midfield 3 combination of a disruptor who cant pass, an imobile defensive player who can't tackle and passes sideways, and now a player who hides from the ball and has zero pace.

They can't play any type of defending apart from backs to the wall because it's slow, old, and lacking in composure, an outlet, and defensive responsibility

If we are playing a high line, how come we keep leaking goals from within our 6 yard box? Surely that is trying to defend too deep and not being able to cope.
Whatever way we are playing frightens me to death, City and Liverpool would run up a cricket score the way that we are defending.

It's higher than anything Allardyce ever dreamed of. And it's higher than anything Michael Keane should be playing. I don't think it's the Spurs press but it is a higher line.

Status
Not open for further replies.