Are we going to end up with a pop gun attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Player Valuation: £150m
I mentioned in the summer transfer thread my concern that with the very likely departure of Lukaku we are faced with an almighty struggle next season to get a striker in to fill the massive chasm he'll leave. So far we have not been linked with the type of marquee signing that we could reasonably believe could come in and take up at least most of the slack in terms of getting on the scoresheet as often as RL has in his time here. Sandro may or may not come in. However, I dont see him as a type that will lead the line in the fashion that we as a club have been used to with our tradition. The existing players we have upfront are unimpressive. For one they cant be adapted to the role of an out and out forward and for another they look pretty limited in what they do in their 'proper job', be that Bolasie and Lookman attacking from out wide or Calvert-Lewin loitering without intent in behind the striker/final third.

Here's my suspicion: I think Koeman will forsake going for a like for like replacement for Lukaku this summer. He looks to me to be thinking of going with a type of attacking unit adopted over the park and adopted elsewhere: a high pressing front three with an advanced MF (probably Klaassens) to augment the attack by making forward runs into the box.

I think this will be madness for us. First, we wont have the class to pull that one off: Lallana/Firmino/Mane + Coutinho are very good quality. That's how they blitzed the PL in the first half of last season and picked up the points that eventually seen them over the CL spot line. Our front 3+1 would be nowhere near that level of quality. Second, we have a lot more games this season and what happened to Liverpool (and what happens to other teams who adopt a manic high press) over the course of the season would come home to roost here too: we'd have a core first team on its knees and/or dropping down with injuries by late winter.

Anyway, that's my thoughts/fears on what I believe this summer's attacking incomings are being prioritised for. Hopefully Koeman goes out and blows that out of the water with a Giroud signing, but I really think we are headed into 2017/18 with a re-shaped and dangerous departure from what we traditionally have gone for before.

Thoughts?

12e.gif

Last edited:
@davek i really think we are currently just edging our bets at present, until the board and koeman know for certain if lukaku will be sold. Everton have set an asking price, if it is met he will be sold. That money could then be used if koeman so wishes to buy a player of the ilk of icardi or the like.

..I think we need to wait and see. If Lukaku goes it might be a different team model with a broader attacking spectrum as opposed to a CF who is the spearhead/focal point. There is more than one way to skin a cat as we showed in the pre and post Lineker days of the mid-80s.

Only time will tell.

Last edited:

I'm relatively excited by the choices of targets. I think we've been far too reliant on Lukaku for goals which has meant little coming from elsewhere. For both Lukaku and us a change of scenery would be good. Options is what I think we need and Koeman seems to be going that way.
Lukaku is a great finisher but lacks willingness at our club to put in a team shift on a regular basis, maybe somewhere else he may not be so indulged and that part of his game might improve, but I don't see that happening for us.
Our midfield is looking quite strong which is what forwards need, different players that are adaptable. Schneiderlin I reckon will command and dictate midfield allowing better options ahead, him and Gueye should be a bedrock for forward play, it's just behind them that needs an addition or two. Add in blooding some younger players and I think injuries aside we might surprise ourselves.
Lukaku staying or going is becoming a meh situation and I think it's being handled correctly.

I think he will be replaced should he go (which looks pretty certain). Once it's all agreed I believe he will attempt to replace him but he/they know how difficult a task that would be. Any player who scores >20 a season is usually very much in demand and very expensive and we cannot offer the salary or the Champions league status some of the upper echelons dangle in front of them.

*moves to Current affairs.

Oh, wait.

I don't think Koeman wants like for like in any replacement for Lukaku - I think he'll look for more intensity/movement in the final third. He paid a record fee for Long at Southampton...

Status
Not open for further replies.