Any Singaporean toffees here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandad was held as a Far East prisoner of war by the Japs in Changi Singapore in 1943 that’s the only connection I’ve had. Never been myself!

That would not have been a good experience, nightmare, he did well to survive it. Fortunately, my many visits to Changi were 10 years after the end of the war.

That would not have been a good experience, nightmare, he did well to survive it. Fortunately, my many visits to Changi were 10 years after the end of the war.

Yes very incredible how he survived. My dad researched his movements a few years ago as due to the PTSD my grandad wouldn’t talk about it. He died a month before I was born.

Changi was only just the start though he was sent to Burma to work on the construction of the Thai Burma railway and then sent to Japan until it all came to and end.

I used to be one in SG...till i moved lol

Chijmes + boat/clarke quay are full of RS and United 'fans'.

Used to go to Chijmes for the derby games...the bar next to Harrys...outside 3 huge screens...inside loads of vermin

Zat I thought you are from Singapore?

Yes very incredible how he survived. My dad researched his movements a few years ago as due to the PTSD my grandad wouldn’t talk about it. He died a month before I was born.

Changi was only just the start though he was sent to Burma to work on the construction of the Thai Burma railway and then sent to Japan until it all came to and end.

That's incredible. I reckon only about 1 in 5 survived that experience. Those who were shipped to Japan had to run the gauntlet of American submarines and a lot of 'prison ships' went down. I used to go into a pub in Windsor. The landlord had been a POW of the Japanese. He was shipped to Japan and was in a POW camp in Nagasaki when the atom bomb was dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.