Any Refs on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudolf Hucker

Player Valuation: £30m
Or anyone who knows the rules on these two :

- Lennon pen yesterday. OK, looks like the lad slipped, but does that make a difference? He still took Lennon out. If a ball hits your arm, it’s a penalty. Doesn’t matter whether it was intentional.
For me, that’s a 100% pen, slip or no slip. Isn’t it?

- Niasse goal. Clearly taken out by the last man with a tackle/lunge from behind. Refs often give cards for incidents back in play. There’s no rule that states he can’t give red, because a goal was scored, is there?

- Lennon pen yesterday. OK, looks like the lad slipped, but does that make a difference? He still took Lennon out. If a ball hits your arm, it’s a penalty. Doesn’t matter whether it was intentional.

- Niasse goal. Clearly taken out by the last man with a tackle/lunge from behind. Refs often give cards for incidents back in play. There’s no rule that states he can’t give red, because a goal was scored, is there?

The Niasse goal, he couldn't show a red - the red would be given for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity, but Niasse scored (and their defender got a touch on the ball tbf), so the most that could have been given was a yellow afterwards

Not so sure about the Lennon one

Thought it was a pen.

Thought the player should have been red-carded for the "tackle" on Niasse, but he did not prevent a goal being scored. Had it not gone in, peno and red card nailed on. Player wasn't even booked.
I was under the impression that a red now can’t be shown if a penalty is given, unless it was for dangerous play?

..I’m no ref but in my opinion the slip doesn’t matter, the player brought Lennon down. It was unfortunate for the defender but it denied Lennon the opportunity to reach the football. Stonewall penalty.

On the Niasse goal, I’m not sure about the situation now they have brought in the ‘double indemnity’ rule. I don’t think sendings off are automatic anymore if a penalty is awarded because the team are already being punished. It might be that because Everton scored the punishment was sufficient.

Thought it was a pen.

Thought the player should have been red-carded for the "tackle" on Niasse, but he did not prevent a goal being scored. Had it not gone in, peno and red card nailed on. Player wasn't even booked.

Can't be sent off if he hadn't scored either as he made an attempt to play the ball. New rules say that if that happens, you can't get the double punishment anymore - penalty only. Red card if it happens outside the area

Aren't pens awarded for deliberate acts that gain an advantage, or has the word deliberate been dropped officially? I know that pundits have a very different view of the laws than the law book. ... he's touched he ' has'to go down etc. And their rabid babbling may have brainwashed us into thinking otherwise.

Aren't pens awarded for deliberate acts that gain an advantage, or has the word deliberate been dropped officially? I know that pundits have a very different view of the laws than the law book. ... he's touched he ' has'to go down etc. And their rabid babbling may have brainwashed us into thinking otherwise.

No, the only foul that has to be deliberate is handball, you can foul a player even if you didn't mean to. The Watford defender was very unfortunate yesterday, he clearly slipped and ended up sliding in front of Lennon and tripping him up. I wouldn't say he was careless, reckless or using excessive force so on that note it wasn't a foul. However "impedes and opponent with contact" is also a foul so possible that the ref gave it for that.

As above, handball has to be deliberate, the ball hitting your arm isn't a foul (unless certain requirements are met). Ignore what players, fans, commentators, pundits, managers and even refs award, handball HAS to be deliberate to be a foul.

Not sure about giving a red after seemingly playing advantage after dogso but thsi appears to state that the ref should give a yellow presumably because as a goal was scored that negates the denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity :

"
Advantage
If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off
would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be
issued when the ball is next out of play, except when the denial of an obvious
goal-scoring opportunity results in a goal the player is cautioned for
unsporting behaviour."

Although i don't believe the ref gave the guy a yellow card so presumably awarded the goal and nothing else. It would only have been a yellow anyway as it was an attempt to play the ball and a penalty was awarded.

Comes up a lot on here regarding the rules, i'm by no means an expert but i do find it odd that people claim to be fans of a game but often don't even know the basics of the rules (not having a dig at you 2 guys i quoted), the rules are online and easy to find although not always easy to interpret as they are often written in a bit of an odd way.

http://www.theifab.com/laws

This double jeopardy thing they have bought in this year is confusing.
Just to add another layer to the question. On the Niasse goal, if the ball hadn't trickled into the net and the ref gave a penalty, would the defender have only received a yellow ?

This double jeopardy thing they have bought in this year is confusing.
Just to add another layer to the question. On the Niasse goal, if the ball hadn't trickled into the net and the ref gave a penalty, would the defender have only received a yellow ?
No, he'd have been sent off for denying a clear cut scoring opportunity.

No arguments on the Lennon pen.

With Niasse, he allowed play to continue and we scored. Had he pulled up for a pen I'm sure the player would have been sent off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity. We then run the risk of missing the pen. I'm glad he allowed the goal which, at the time, was more important to us. To penalise them twice by allowing the goal and subsequently sending the player off would have been wrong, as he hadn't actually stopped a goal scoring opportunity so a sending off offence hadn't occurred. If that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.