Anti Everton Pundits

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is spot on. The most tedious part of the Top 6 isn't their money, it's that they have to dominate all coverage and discussion to such a tedious degree. I'd understand if they were interesting at least, but most the time it's boring. Arsenal have been having the exact same season over and over for the past, what, ten years? They managed to change the longest serving manager in the league and still stay exactly the same.

Thing is, if you want attention - and I'm not sure I do particularly - it can and will only come through success. Look at Spurs.
Quite.
Even though Barca played man u last night, the bbc website still had to mention the rs with an article about Klopp and Firminio's dentist ffs.

Impartial bbc? Its like my licence fee pays for their advertising.

I think fans of every team feel exactly the same if I’m honest

I know for a fact the RS do. They genuinely feel that the media is against them. I don't understand how when 80% of pundits used to play for or support them but there you go.

They think any non-complimentary coverage is a specific attack and part of an agenda though, so.

There's nothing more annoying than kopite pundits who talk about us in that condescending tone, unbearable. Half of them aren't even from the city and don't know one Evertonian in their lives, how can they have any clue how we as a fanbase think?

TV punditry I think will die out in the next decade or so, fan media has taken over and the general football fan cares less and less about what some old boy who played 20-30 years ago thinks about the modern game. Hearing people like Souness or McNicol rip into Pogba because of his social media and other interests is hilarious, because in their day players used to go out for 10 pints and a smoke after a game. That's real professionalism.

I dont really care what Paul Merson thinks,nor Lawro and his rs unbeaten run going into its 15th year,Dominic King with his Everton should follow the Coventry route,or whether some southern based journo gets titty lipped because our loans work out well,these are the people who think Alladyce was the right man for us,that sums the pundit merry go round perfectly,clueless

All for the negativity.

Under the radar is the best way.

Have we done anything to garner much media coverage? I wouldn’t say that the coverage we get is particularly negative... I’d simply say we don’t get much coverage at all!

It is annoying how everything is framed around the “big six”. If a top 6 club loses to a club outside that category, then the narrative is always framed as the top 6 club having a nightmare or not turning up. However this is due to the fact that these clubs have established a level of consistency and performance over a period of time that quite simply the likes of us, Leicester, Watford etc have not.

I was listening to the guardian football podcast on Monday and the journos on their did give us some praise for the victory over Arsenal but they hastened to add that we haven’t really shown that level of performance or consistency throughout the campaign, and let’s face it the season is almost over. If we want positive media coverage surely we have to accept that the media will only take notice when we force them to take notice? It’s the business end of the season- latter stages of both European cup competitions, a title race, a very tight top four race. To the media which lives to sell stories, ours isn’t one that is probably that worthy of attention. Now if come next season we find ourselves 6th, maybe even close to 4th, perhaps in an FA Cup Semi-Final maybe then we’ll get a lot more praise. Just because we’ve taken a few “big six” scalps (as have most other clubs this season) doesn’t mean the media should fall at our feet.

There's nothing more annoying than kopite pundits who talk about us in that condescending tone, unbearable. Half of them aren't even from the city and don't know one Evertonian in their lives, how can they have any clue how we as a fanbase think?

TV punditry I think will die out in the next decade or so, fan media has taken over and the general football fan cares less and less about what some old boy who played 20-30 years ago thinks about the modern game. Hearing people like Souness or McNicol rip into Pogba because of his social media and other interests is hilarious, because in their day players used to go out for 10 pints and a smoke after a game. That's real professionalism.

I disagree there completely. I think this embarrassing movement of having clueless nobodies being able to air their baseless Twitter opinions on National television is ridiculous and will hopefully die out with Ebola.

Nobody cares what Karl in Newport thinks about the game tonight, apart from Karl in Newport.

Not anti-Everton as such, but the pro-Liverpool swarm of pundits is sickening. You turn on Sky you've got Redknapp, Souness, Carragher, Thompson. Flip over to BT, you've got that wham-talker McManaman, Michael Owen. Then the real commentators, Alan Green, Clive Tyldesley, Martin Tyler. They ship in useless gets like Paul Ince to give their expert insight, or even Dean kin Saunders. That's 11 and I only thought about it for about 25 seconds.
I think they've scraped that particular barrel good and proper with the recent emergence of Stephen Warnock as some new RS talking head on tv. His CV (once people have asked who he actually is) screeches "journeyman" with 10 clubs behind him yet hes now deemed fit to educate us on "hes a better player than that "..."he'll be disappointed with that (missed penalty...really?) ...."Ive seen them given..." and a feast of other cliched drivel. The anti Everton thing doesn't bother me as some of the ex players in the media still regard us as a "proper football club" albeit an under achieving one. The RS ones infesting the media have now sickened most level headed viewers to the extent that the myth bubble that they are everyones 2nd favourite team has been well and truly burst.

The reporter is new to the Echo's Everton reporting. "Adam joined the Liverpool ECHO in October 2017 and became Everton reporter in March 2018, following the Blues home and away". Part of the Echo trying to suck up to Evertonians. He'll be cut down to size when he conflicts with the RS dominated Echo narrative.

It's not just in punditry
This is spot on. The most tedious part of the Top 6 isn't their money, it's that they have to dominate all coverage and discussion to such a tedious degree. I'd understand if they were interesting at least, but most the time it's boring. Arsenal have been having the exact same season over and over for the past, what, ten years? They managed to change the longest serving manager in the league and still stay exactly the same.

Thing is, if you want attention - and I'm not sure I do particularly - it can and will only come through success. Look at Spurs.

I just had a look at BBC's football 'Gossip' page for this week and it backs up their obsession with the 'Top 6' teams.

Monday 12 out of 13 references to 'Top six'
Tuesday 11 out of 21 ditto
Wednesday 15 out of 19 ditto
Thursday 10 out of 14 ditto

Granted, EFC and other 'lesser' clubs did get the odd mention here and there but over 70% of the gossip related to 'Top Six' only.
Maybe I should just get out more!

I don't think its an anti-Everton bias as such, more a very distinct bias in favour of the established top six, and within that, there is a further hierarchy of Man Utd and the RS being the supreme media darlings.

As such all of the coverage and debate is skewed towards a presentation as if we are watching MUTV, LFCTV, or whatever else.

The media as a whole just mirror their agenda to suit the number of fans who will either not notice any issue, such is the bias, or nod in agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.