2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, any club is better off taking a strong offer than they are keeping an unsettled player around. There are exceptions - Spurs did it with Kane - but the reality is that Gordon is in no way as essential.
It’s good business if we sell Gordon and bring in a few forward options that are the difference between mid table safety and a relegation scrap. Club would be mad to turn down such a good offer.

Mate we had to sell our best player to avoid a possible points deduction

It's crap, but we are where we are.

I will however say that I don't care if you're this financially ruined Everton or Man City, if you got an offer worth up to £60m for a lad of Gordon's current quality, you sell.
I think the US owners are comparing our football teams to US sports teams and seeing the revenue expansion potential - so from that perspective I don’t think £60m is that much for them

We spent £0.5bn and should be in that same place but somehow miscalculated

How do you “prepare a bid”? Don’t you just send an email saying “ey yar do you want £60m for Gordon lads?”
I reckon they phone Moshiri first, sell him some magic beans and then talk the price down. Initially they’re thinking “£60m” then, after he tells them about how he stayed within the lines when “colouring in yesterday” they submit and official bid of £5m plus £30m in addons

I don't think we really do need another one if Gordon goes mate, or at least not one of the exact same types.

We need, as you say, a striker and a quality, versatile attacker/wide forward.

Then I'd say the priority is also defensive mid (Gueye, but we should be able to do that regardless of Gordon) and a creative player. Maybe that player does play wide but I'm thinking more from midfield. I don't know much about Kudus but given we are/were in for him it suggests they want someone who can help progress the ball centrally and has quality to deliver the final pass too.

Four players in. IMO that's fine, as long as that balance is covered: defensive mid, creative player, versatile attacker (this should be where a decent chunk of the money goes IMO) and a striker (I think it'll be Broja).

There's just not enough goals for me up top Toff, though I know what you mean regarding getting someone in who can create and maybe chip in with a few.

Gueye should be done regardless of Gordon and we really should have had 1 or 2 in already so this just stinks of us needing the cash to bring more in (I'm not saying we shouldnt sell btw, 60m is far too good to turn down and a chance to sort our finances).

Chucking 3 League games (currently) and a potential cup game is disgraceful management from the very top down whichever way we spin it. Its simply unacceptable once again and its a huge game of risk they're currently playing.

But it's not business that we have to do. Most fans don't want him gone, despite the insistence of some in this GOT thread.
Most fans don't want him gone...me included but most fans are looking purely at a business sense due to FFP. Do we stay as we are with Gordon in the team or do we accept the deal and strengthen other areas and still have money in our back pocket and ease the worry of FFP. I would prefer the latter scenario and feel it is the only way to move forward

Think you’ll be right.

Where does he fit if they sign Aubameyang?

17 mins in 2 games before, he’ll be moved on loan. Makes perfect sense for it to be us.
Alternatively sign Broja and loan Hudson-Odoi. He is dropping further down the pecking order if Gordon signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.