2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's doing us a great service. I wish the lad well. He's basically Frank Lampard's liferaft (and the board's latest get-out-of-jail card). So, on second thoughts, he's doing us a mixed blessing (assuming keeping Frank in gainful employment is an act of charity).
I was just thinking about how Rooney getting sold spurred a decade of a much improved Everton. Albeit one that lacked a talent like Rooney to get it over the line in winning something.

I was just thinking about how Rooney getting sold spurred a decade of a much improved Everton. Albeit one that lacked a talent like Rooney to get it over the line in winning something.
The difference, though, was that we couldn't keep Rooney even if we wanted to (which "we" most certainly did. i.e., the fans). Rooney was a once-in-a-lifetime talent lost to the club because of criminal mismanagement upstairs. I'm not sure "we" really want to keep Gordon. Certainly, there is no consensus on that. Gordon is a ten-a-penny talent that we tend to produce every few years (Cadamarteri, Branch, Grantona, Barkley) but this time we seem to have the common sense to cash in before he invariably fizzles out into nothingness.

The Brian Clough/Peter Taylor rule must apply here: put a price on every player and sell the moment they reach what you consider to be their peak value.

A Gordon sale gives Lampard a chance - which is more than he'll have if he keeps him.

Being pushed out the door like those before him due to the complete miss management of the club.

Everton are no different from any other club when we have to sell to buy. However certain board members have form for pushing out players and hiding behind crocodile tears.

Gordon is a young lad and I am sure his family care for his long term welfare now in a new city than the club being flush to fend off the fans.

Being pushed out the door like those before him due to the complete miss management of the club.

Everton are no different from any other club when we have to sell to buy. However certain board members have form for pushing out players and hiding behind crocodile tears.

Gordon is a young lad and I am sure his family care for his long term welfare now in a new city than the club being flush to fend off the fans.
People complaining about mismanagement in the same breath as they want us to not sell someone who is being massively overpaid for is quite something

This could be one of those situations where a top team can afford to wait for a young green and gifted player and we can’t afford to wait on 40-50 mil. But I think it’s a horrible idea to sell if we don’t have a replacement lined up which would be the norm

Status
Not open for further replies.