2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is he worth 70m? Cos he is 'one of us' or do you actually think his ability warrants a 70m price tag?
He is 21 and on the fringes of an England call up. He is a promising young player in the middle of his contract and if you want to sign him with only 2 weeks left of the transfer market you are going to have to pay a massively inflated price.

Why would a question be asked? Their commercial deals absolutely dwarf ours.

I think it's more about the rules as they currently stand. It's never been a more un-level playing field. The financial rules aren't fit for purpose, and are not achieving their objectives. And they won't while they are based only on profit/loss, and ignore the huge debts of the top club, which are a far bigger issue than a loss.

It's nearly impossible for midtable teams to recruit because the elite sides can keep chucking darts at the board, and if they get a 50m signing wrong, then no problem, they can spend another 60m on trying to fix it.

You also have Chelsea spending over 60m on Cucurella (good player like), and that means the market are crazily inflated. How are teams meant to improve when recruitment entirely a game for the rich and the art of finding the right player is gone. It's one of the few things American sports have right. Squad building is based on strategy and scouting, rather than concentrated wealth at a few clubs.

But history shows we won't.
I can't blame you based on history but I don't think we can think that way.

The acquisitions so far, while not sufficient, have been good.

We have a manager and a DoF who by all indications are working well together. They appear to have a plan re: how they want to play and are getting players accordingly. The players brought in have been good value for our budget and for the risk/reward profile for each player. We seem to have avoided (seem to have) malcontents, castoffs, the injury prone etc. Several players have specifically said they want to be here, which is the kind of player we want and IMO makes it that much more likely that the next guy will be more inclined to come here.

So if they decide that they can put that money to good use, I'll back them.

Not that I have a choice.

Because if they get Gordan and Fofana for another 110 mill thats near 250 million on outgoings this far!

How is their Income THAT much greater to allow that much spend?

Because it is? Just check out how much their shirt sponsor gives them per year and get back to me.

I think it's more about the rules as they currently stand. It's never been a more un-level playing field. The financial rules aren't fit for purpose, and are achieving their objectives. And they won't while they are based only on profit, and ignore the huge debts of the top club, which are a far bigger issue than a loss.

It's nearly impossible for midtable teams to recruit because the elite sides can keep chucking darts at the board, and if they get a 50m signing wrong, then no problem, they can spend another 60m on trying to fix it.

You also have Chelsea spending over 60m on Cucurella (good player like), and that means the market are crazily inflated.

Yeh but that's a whole other argument. As things stand, with the current rules, them spending £200m doesn't raise questions.

Because it is? Just check out how much their shirt sponsor gives them per year and get back to me.
I know they are raking it in but it still doesnt allow for near 250 million this far on purchases and potential purchases, its a mad world so heavily in favour of these corrupt clubs that means we and others have no chance!

it stinks 100%

and yes it is a bit of resentment as Chelsea are freakin nobodies in real terms!

Because if they get Gordan and Fofana for another 110 mill thats near 250 million on outgoings this far!

How is their Income THAT much greater to allow that much spend?

They’ve got that year of a transfer ban still on record. So they spent nothing and in that time Frank unearthed Tammy Abraham Mason Mount and Reece James for them for free. They’ll run into problems down the line if they keep wasting money but they have so many assets they can sell.

In 3 years, is he more likely to be a £50 million or £20 million player? I’d say the latter. Unless he massively kicks on this season, he will never come close to what is being offered now. It is a gamble as he could be a star player in 2-3 years and if he was 18, that could change my mind.

Yeh but that's a whole other argument. As things stand, with the current rules, them spending £200m doesn't raise questions.

It doesn't but I don't think it's sustainable if they do it again next year. They've made a big loss on Werner, they will make a big loss on Lukaku after his loan, they will make a huge loss on Kepa, and they will end up spending about £350m + this window if their targets come off.

There is no fairness in financial fair play. It's about maintaining the position of the elite clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.