2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might develop an end product but it's a fair thing to be saying at the moment because he's in the team right now and not having an impact in games. He's played in our last 12 games and not contributed a goal or assist in any of them and that's a massive problem for us in the present.

Apart from Gray scoring worldies...we've not done anything as a team. His all round game has been better than Iwobi and Townsend for the past month, so he plays.

He’s in the team though, if he needs a year to develop, he can do it on loan. We need a goal threat in our attacking positions or we’ll be in a relegation battle all year.

So...send him out on loan and buy in another attacker?

We have Gray and Richy as goal threats. If his all round team game at a young age is helping, end product will come the more he plays.

If the Waiter played him, Dobbin, and Simms more regularly it would be the only saving grace as he's willing to develop youth.

Apart from Gray scoring worldies...we've not done anything as a team. His all round game has been better than Iwobi and Townsend for the past month, so he plays.
I'm not disputing that but unfortunately we're not really in a position to just say it's ok for him to not contribute so people are going to mention the fact he isn't doing it. It's not getting on his back it's just stating facts because if he carries on playing and not helping us score we're going to be in big trouble it's not ideal but it's true.

I'm not disputing that but unfortunately we're not really in a position to just say it's ok for him to not contribute so people are going to mention the fact he isn't doing it. It's not getting on his back it's just stating facts because if he carries on playing and not helping us score we're going to be in big trouble it's not ideal but it's true.

He does contribute though.

At Old Trafford he put one on a plate for Townsend.

Last night he dribbled about 70 yards, had a great shot and the rebound fell 3 yards out for an easy tap in for a competent striker. Unfortunately we didnt have one on the pitch.

That's the fault of Townsend and Rondon, not Gordon.

We had more attacking threat last night when he came on.

Just because his final numbers of assists and goals aren't there yet in his first full season, doesn't mean he's not contributing all round.

I'll point out Dom again. Development over seasons, "Doesn't score enough". Then bangs in 20 over a season. It's called development. And outside the list of players in his position...only Richy and Gray play above him at the moment.

We had more attacking threat last night when he came on.

Just because his final numbers of assists and goals aren't there yet in his first full season, doesn't mean he's not contributing all round.

I'll point out Dom again. Development over seasons, "Doesn't score enough". Then bangs in 20 over a season. It's called development. And outside the list of players in his position...only Richy and Gray play above him at the moment.
I don't know what you're not getting. I'm not saying he needs dropping and i'm not saying he should be the finished article i'm just saying he's played 27 league games for us now and got 1 assist and no goals and that isn't sustainable in the position we're in so people will talk about it. If we were safely in midtable it'd be different but when you're on a run like we are people aren't going to give a free ride to anyone no matter how old they are and i think that's right.
He does contribute though.

At Old Trafford he put one on a plate for Townsend.

Last night he dribbled about 70 yards, had a great shot and the rebound fell 3 yards out for an easy tap in for a competent striker. Unfortunately we didnt have one on the pitch.

That's the fault of Townsend and Rondon, not Gordon.
I think those things probably even out if you're doing the right things regularly sometimes you put one on a plate for someone and they miss sometimes you play a terrible 5 yard pass to someone who smacks it in the top corner from outside the box but if you keep doing the right things you'll get your rewards. I think his stats are a decent indicator of his current level based on his all round game he looks alright but doesn't do enough to worry teams. I get that he can develop but that's not the point being talked about.

I don't know what you're not getting. I'm not saying he needs dropping and i'm not saying he should be the finished article i'm just saying he's played 27 league games for us now and got 1 assist and no goals and that isn't sustainable in the position we're in so people will talk about it. If we were safely in midtable it'd be different but when you're on a run like we are people aren't going to give a free ride to anyone no matter how old they are and i think that's right.

I think those things probably even out if you're doing the right things regularly sometimes you put one on a plate for someone and they miss sometimes you play a terrible 5 yard pass to someone who smacks it in the top corner from outside the box but if you keep doing the right things you'll get your rewards. I think his stats are a decent indicator of his current level based on his all round game he looks alright but doesn't do enough to worry teams. I get that he can develop but that's not the point being talked about.
It's the fact that he's actually one of our main options and yet is miles away from his development. Will end up another Tom Davies unfortunately.

Hes doing enough to keep his place. Simple. Everything else will come hopefully as we don't have other options.

Hes doing enough to keep his place. Simple. Everything else will come hopefully as we don't have other options.
But just being better than Iwobi isn't actually enough that's the point being made which you seem not to be able to understand. I understand why he's playing and I understand that he might well improve but I also understand that people will comment on the fact one of our regular front three doesn't have a single goal involvement yet at pretty much the half way point of the season. Simple.

But just being better than Iwobi isn't actually enough that's the point being made which you seem not to be able to understand. I understand why he's playing and I understand that he might well improve but I also understand that people will comment on the fact one of our regular front three doesn't have a single goal involvement yet at pretty much the half way point of the season. Simple.

I fully understand it cos it's the standard response to most of our young players who break through. They play a handful of games in a poor run and instantly "not good enough".

Richy and Keane are the only ones with an assist to their name since Wolves. That's 8 games ago.

13 games. 6 starts.
27 league games. 11 starts in total. 1 assist.

Let's go completely off the deep end
Sancho for United -
13 games. 8 starts. 1 goal.

It's easy to rag on him when the team itself is playing poorly.

I've seen enough of his all round game to suggest he's not an issue for us at the moment.

I fully understand it cos it's the standard response to most of our young players who break through. They play a handful of games in a poor run and instantly "not good enough".

Richy and Keane are the only ones with an assist to their name since Wolves. That's 8 games ago.

13 games. 6 starts.

Sancho for United -

I've seen enough of his all round game to suggest he's not an issue for us at the moment.
How many of them have been good enough though? I know everyone likes to mention Calvert Lewin but if the same thing has happened to everyone then actually people have been right 99% of the time haven't they. I'm still not saying he's not good enough and you're still replying as if i am so although you say you fully understand it it doesn't really come across that way in your posts.

13 games. 6 starts.

Sancho for United -

The other thing people forget when mentioning no assists, is out of them half dozen games he has started he had a over weight forward to hit

Status
Not open for further replies.