2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but i don't think a single youth player since Silva has been here has made his debut under him in the league.

Players like Kenny, Davies, DCL had already been in squads before.

I can't name 1 whose seen a single minute in about 18 months of him being here, so much for youth progression, there is no route for these young lads like Gordon and Gibson no matter how well they perform at youth level.

Ideally that would be the case, but unfortunately age generally brings with it other benefits - experience, consistency, leadership etc that can be just as important as pure natural ability. When your back's against the wall, if your team is full of young inexperienced players, who are they going to turn to to help guide them through? Like I said, I'd love to have more young players coming through, I just don't think it realistic to bring many more through atm.
If I saw the older players at Everton leading us through a tough time and winning a game or turning around a bad run I might subscribe to the idea that having players with experience to do those things is needed, but I can't remember the last time we had someone lead us out when our backs were against the wall so I'd rather we just picked the XI best players.

If I saw the older players at Everton leading us through a tough time and winning a game or turning around a bad run I might subscribe to the idea that having players with experience to do those things is needed, but I can't remember the last time we had someone lead us out when our backs were against the wall so I'd rather we just picked the XI best players.
Well if you consider that we haven't won from behind in however many games! :eek: But I was thinking more of the turn around towards the end of last season. I know some people have their theories on that being down to lack of pressure etc, but I don't buy in to that, there's always pressure at this level and playing for a club like ours (or at least there should be).

Personally I would like Gordon to be involved in some matchday squads, and just get him so game time off the bench. Whether we are winning or losing, give him ten minutes and tell him go out there and see what you can do. But wholesale changes and relying on our youth to turn things around I don't think would work, and I fear another Barkley situation could arise.

Well if you consider that we haven't won from behind in however many games! :eek: But I was thinking more of the turn around towards the end of last season. I know some people have their theories on that being down to lack of pressure etc, but I don't buy in to that, there's always pressure at this level and playing for a club like ours (or at least there should be).

Personally I would like Gordon to be involved in some matchday squads, and just get him so game time off the bench. Whether we are winning or losing, give him ten minutes and tell him go out there and see what you can do. But wholesale changes and relying on our youth to turn things around I don't think would work, and I fear another Barkley situation could arise.
I just think the intangible things that supposedly players learn with experience are less important than just simply being good at football. I think prioritizing finding and developing good footballers needs to be what we do and to that end when we have one like Gordon who might just be a good footballer we need to find a way to get him in some level of open age football matches.

I just think the intangible things that supposedly players learn with experience are less important than just simply being good at football. I think prioritizing finding and developing good footballers needs to be what we do and to that end when we have one like Gordon who might just be a good footballer we need to find a way to get him in some level of open age football matches.
Haha, yes certainly actually being good at football is the most important thing, but I think the intangibles can make a big difference too. It's like that one player you put in the side who isn't really that good, but everyone else just seems to play better when they're in, so that the overall effect is a positive. I was gonna use Phil Neville as an example, but feel that may not have helped my case!! Agree with you on the latter though, really think Gordon could be a very good player for us, fingers crossed.

Ideally that would be the case, but unfortunately age generally brings with it other benefits - experience, consistency, leadership etc that can be just as important as pure natural ability. When your back's against the wall, if your team is full of young inexperienced players, who are they going to turn to to help guide them through? Like I said, I'd love to have more young players coming through, I just don't think it realistic to bring many more through atm.

If they're turning to our senior pros for guidance they're screwed

Genuinley think it was 1-0 win vrs Newcastle away a couple of seasons ago.
Rooney scored but the real performers of that day were Kenny, DCL & Davies doing absolutely everything they could think of to drag the clock down as much as possible

I could be wrong but i don't think a single youth player since Silva has been here has made his debut under him in the league.

Players like Kenny, Davies, DCL had already been in squads before.

I can't name 1 whose seen a single minute in about 18 months of him being here, so much for youth progression, there is no route for these young lads like Gordon and Gibson no matter how well they perform at youth level.

So youre bashing silva for not giving a debut to who exactly?

Gibson Silva has said hes not ready quite yet and Gordon hes said is very close.

Who else should he have given debuts to?

He was in the 20 for the Watford game , but apparently lost out on a bench spot to Tosun.

He has had another good game tonight for the U23s , scoring a first half goal against PSV U23s in a 1-1 draw. One brief extract from the match report is a good summary of his play :
“ Gordon dazzles
Gordon skins the PSV right back, pushes it past the centre-half, whips in a low cross but Simms can’t get on the end of it.

Truth be told, Gordon was not only too fast for the PSV defenders but for his team-mates as well.

He has an impressive change of pace and ability to shift through the gears.”

He’s looking too good for the U23s, but needs game time so maybe training and learning with the first team , playing with the U23s is currently the best option. The other dilemma is where you would play him in the first team as he could play across all three front positions. Ideally playing on the left with Digne supporting him would be his best chance, but of course Richarlison currently has that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.