2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered why managers go with underperforming players rather than try youth. It might not work but if your senior player is garbage why not chance it. Howard and Robles with martinez springs to mind. Robles might not have been the answer but howard certainly wasnt. Why not go with someone with the potential rather than the one guaranteed to not be up to it?
They perceive the risk of a young player being catastrophically bad as too high to take a chance on the young player being an improvement. When you're the one in the hot seat it's hard and I understand the hesitation, but it also is setting us back manager after manager.

I agree the current clear out is going well but is by no means finished. Without veering to far off course the fact that Brands was hired after Silva and therefore stuck with him is strange and hopefully can be rectified this summer even if Silva recovers to a respectable league position. And at that point maybe we see the overall club philosophy start to swing.
Or just accept we are utter crap. Only the RS are good this season. Only eight games in and everybody else is very fallible...and we are in the bottom three...utter garbage

Or just accept we are utter crap. Only the RS are good this season. Only eight games in and everybody else is very fallible...and we are in the bottom three...utter garbage
The difference between City and the RS this season is a lot of luck. But it's probably enough already to make them uncatchable which sucks.

I wish we would make forward thinking decisions more often but you do have to remain respectable so throwing away the whole year isn't a good idea.

It should be noted that Bale came through Southampton's academy, not Spurs'.
My thinking is about young players in general and not just the academy. Which makes it even more perplexing that we refuse to use more of ours since the best players we've had are guys like Rom, Ross, Stones and now Richarlison and Mina who were all bought as youngish and unproven players.

My thinking is about young players in general and not just the academy. Which makes it even more perplexing that we refuse to use more of ours since the best players we've had are guys like Rom, Ross, Stones and now Richarlison and Mina who were all bought as youngish and unproven players.

Well if you include guys like Mina and Richarlison then practically half the starting 11 is composed of young players at time. I'm all for promoting youth players, but there needs to be a balance and we already have a young squad, so adding more youth players need to be considered carefully before going ahead imo.

My issue is (much the same as with Kean) that we aren't progressive enough and don't create enough chances at the moment to give these flair players the necessary opportunities to express themselves. We need a massive rethink tactically first and foremost before there is any point in giving exciting young prospects such a poisoned chalice.

Well if you include guys like Mina and Richarlison then practically half the starting 11 is composed of young players at time. I'm all for promoting youth players, but there needs to be a balance and we already have a young squad, so adding more youth players need to be considered carefully before going ahead imo.
There really doesn't need to be a balance. If our best XI is all sub 25 than our best of XI is all sub 25. We don't need to toss in Sigurdsson or Coleman to keep the average age up if they aren't as good.

the balance shouldn't be about age, good players with intelligence and heart is what I want in the team not players like Schedierlin and Sigurdsson who have less heart than the tin-man. they're a bad influence on any young players in the team.

There really doesn't need to be a balance. If our best XI is all sub 25 than our best of XI is all sub 25. We don't need to toss in Sigurdsson or Coleman to keep the average age up if they aren't as good.
the balance shouldn't be about age, good players with intelligence and heart is what I want in the team not players like Schedierlin and Sigurdsson who have less heart than the tin-man. they're a bad influence on any young players in the team.
Ideally that would be the case, but unfortunately age generally brings with it other benefits - experience, consistency, leadership etc that can be just as important as pure natural ability. When your back's against the wall, if your team is full of young inexperienced players, who are they going to turn to to help guide them through? Like I said, I'd love to have more young players coming through, I just don't think it realistic to bring many more through atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.