2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
....ah, good on you @blueloon.

Gordon has been highlighted for a while, I thought he disappointed a bit last season but he’s doing everything right this time around. Good age, good size, good physicality, good quality. It’s a massive step up from the Academy, especially for a forward as the skill set is so much greater, but he’s doing all that can be asked of him.

The key is what we don’t see, and that’s how he’s performing in training with the first team. If he’s got a chance he needs to be holding his own and impressing the first teamers.

Last edited:

....ah, good on you @blueloon.

Gordon has been highlighted for a while, I thought he disappointed a bit last season but he’s doing everything right this time around.
Well there’s always different views and different ways of looking at things mate. For me , although Gordon didn’t hit the heights early on last season he was putting in some sparkling performances near the end , particularly in the Cups. If you look at the stats, he started the first league game last season, was substituted at half time and didn’t start another league game until mid February . In all he started 5 league games and was an unused sub for about as many. Meanwhile our starting attackers were mainly Hornby, Sambou, Bowler, Broadhead and Evans with 85 appearances between them. Only Evans has shown the same talent as Gordon at a young age, but all of them were older , experienced at U23s level and helped us substantially to win the PL League . Shrugs shoulders!
So my different view is that I was more disappointed with how Gordon was handled last season than with his play , and for about six months between September and February we seemed to just leave him in limbo and not develop him. This season he’s looked sharp in his brief pre season appearances, Youth tournaments and U23s games. He’s far from the finished article , not ready to start for us yet , will develop nicely training with the first team and should appear in a first team squad sooner than later.

Last edited:
Well there’s always different views and different ways of looking at things mate. For me , although Gordon didn’t hit the heights early on last season he was putting in some sparkling performances near the end , particularly in the Cups. If you look at the stats, he started the first league game last season, was substituted at half time and didn’t start another league game until mid February . In all he started 5 league games and was an unused sub for about as many. Meanwhile our starting attackers were mainly Hornby, Sambou, Bowler, Broadhead and Evans with 85 appearances between them. Only Evans has shown the same talent as Gordon at a young age, but all of them were older , experienced at U23s level and helped us substantially to win the PL League . Shrugs shoulders!
So my different view is that I was more disappointed with how Gordon was handled last season than with his play , and for about six months between September and February we seemed to just leave him in limbo and not develop him. This season he’s looked sharp in his brief pre season appearances, Youth tournaments and U23s games. He’s far from the finished article , not ready to start for us yet and will develop nicely training with the first team and should appear in a first team squad sooner than later.

....it might be argued (I’m playing Devils Advocate), that Gordon was handled correctly last season and we are now seeing the fruits of that approach. I understand the Reds pulled Gerrard out of the firing line for a good spell when he was coming through, something to do with growing and strengthening spurts.

We can only surmise with these youngsters. I’m saying we don’t really know what’s going on.

....it might be argued (I’m playing Devils Advocate), that Gordon was handled correctly last season and we are now seeing the fruits of that approach. I understand the Reds pulled Gerrard out of the firing line for a good spell when he was coming through, something to do with growing and strengthening spurts.
Indeed, I did think that given where he is now it’s working out ok , couldn’t argue with that point.
I’m a great admirer of United ‘s 17 year old Mason Greenwood, who was playing u18s regularly as a Schoolboy, U23s at 16 , first team at 17 and a super talent who’s been carefully developed . A different player than Gordon of course , but they now know what they’ve got . Its all conjecture what I’m saying , which is that we could have been further down the road with knowing about Gordon, instead we’ve left the impression that he was a disappointment last season.

Bloody Hell
And your problem is? Player Sponsorship is my contribution to GOT. As you know I follow and support our younger players, last year I sponsored Beni, though he didn’t play a game, this year I’ve chosen young master Gordon as I like it to be a young player. He’s got a squad number as he’s under 21, and if it turns out to be a quiet thread so be it. You can sponsor two players you know, it doesn’t have to be a glory hunting first teamer , young Ellis is still available :bye:

Gordon is the type of player that needs to train with the 1st team but the u23 team needs to be built around. Personally I think he looks like a number 10 so would like to see us put an out and out striker in the team like Simms. The problem being that we don't really have any wingers in our u23 at the minute we have Charlsey who is more of an attacking midfielder, Evans who like Gordon is suited to the number 10 role and Mampala whose best game for u18s were as a striker. Its a shame in a way that we didn't keep Bowler and Broadhead as that would have been a decent attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.