Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Or words to that effect. His 'shuttle runs' point struck a chord and I felt this was worth it's own thread. What do you reckon?

Former Everton striker Andy Gray says the Blues must stop leaving Romelu Lukaku as a bystander in games.

Gray, who played at Goodison between 1983-85, says the club’s record signing is too isolated in matches because of the team’s patient passing style.

Lukaku has struck seven times this season in all competitions but is without a goal since the beginning of December and has been on the bench for the past two games with Arouna Kone preferred upfront.

But Gray says it is time manager Roberto Martinez instructed his players to get the ball to the £28m summer signing from Chelsea quicker to avoid him doing ‘shuttle runs’ all game.

“If I was Romelu Lukaku I would seriously be knocking on the gaffer’s door and saying ‘Seriously, is any chance of me getting in the game more often because I never see the football’?” Gray said on Radio City.

“I feel a little bit sorry for him.”

The Everton great Gray added: “What’s the point in paying £28m for a centre forward, who did ever so well last year because we got him more involved in the game than we are doing this year, and he was a threat and he was a handful?”.

“But there is no point in having him up there if we are going to pass it along the back, into midfield, back again, into left-back, across to right-back, back again and he’s doing little shuttles at the top end of the pitch wondering ‘when is the ball going to arrive at me?’”

Source: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-gray-says-time-everton-8383186

“But there is no point in having him up there if we are going to pass it along the back, into midfield, back again, into left-back, across to right-back, back again and he’s doing little shuttles at the top end of the pitch wondering ‘when is the ball going to arrive at me?’”

----------------------------------------------------

The bold part above is a very clear indirect criticism of Martinez

Ha Ha.

Everton great my arse. He was here a season.

Thanks for your contribution Gray, I'm sure the current playing staff are appreciative of you weighing in on their behalf at a point when they're trying to get shut of the manager.

Andy Gray said:

Even Andy Gray is singling out the 'titting about at the back' rubbish now. Who next? Elmer Fudd? Mr Magoo?

Ha Ha.

Everton great my arse. He was here a season.

Thanks for your contribution Gray, I'm sure the current playing staff are appreciative of you weighing in on their behalf at a point when they're trying to get shut of the manager.

Dave, I've seen this point being made a few times lately. Why do some think the players are trying to get rid of Martinez?

Status
Not open for further replies.