2021/22 Andros Townsend

Status
Not open for further replies.
obviously his age might be against him but doesnt pretty much everyone recover from ACL injuries nowadays?
I hope he makes a good recovery and plays for us next season but it’s great to read the many tributes to Andros on here and acknowledging him as a thorough professional player who gives his all on the pitch from the start or a sub and even injured hobbling down the field to join in the celebrations with that goal. Best of luck Andros in the future.

It’s interesting to hear because whilst he’s a true professional and very good talker in the media I wondered if he was a bit of a yes man.
We heard all the ‘everything’s great’ stuff when he was brought in and never any negativity but I like that he’s saying it how it is now. Everything was great until results turned and Benitez completely crushed team spirit.
To me, the mark of a great manager isn’t to go on a nice long winning run - look at Solksjaer at United or Silva/Martinez at times for us, it’s being able to find a plan b when things aren’t going well.
Early days, but I was impressed with how Lampard completely changed our playing style to grind out those wins against United and Chelsea especially.
That is what makes the difference,so many managers can't or refuse to adapt to the situation the team finds itself in. Don't know how good Lampard has the potential to be but his adaptability is refreshing.

It’s interesting to hear because whilst he’s a true professional and very good talker in the media I wondered if he was a bit of a yes man.
We heard all the ‘everything’s great’ stuff when he was brought in and never any negativity but I like that he’s saying it how it is now. Everything was great until results turned and Benitez completely crushed team spirit.
To me, the mark of a great manager isn’t to go on a nice long winning run - look at Solksjaer at United or Silva/Martinez at times for us, it’s being able to find a plan b when things aren’t going well.
Early days, but I was impressed with how Lampard completely changed our playing style to grind out those wins against United and Chelsea especially.

Of course he's a yes man. He even says in that clip we were the only team that Summer to offer him a deal lol always plucky Everton to rescue someones career.

Yeh but he doesn't attribute that to Benitez. Just says they couldn't get out of the losing mentality.

Maybe but what I got out of it, reading between the lines a lot of the players needed a break from him. Probably reading too much into it and I'm usually wrong anyway. :) Saying all that we didn't do that much better under Frank.

What he's said is what the pudits and the "Lampard got them 16th" brigade don't understand.

Benitez crushed the soul of the club and the players mentally. Staff and players leaving, poor performances, a long streak of losing games, injuries...

If we were a boxer we'd have been on the canvas when Bentiez left, having a slow countdown. He would've never have turned it around because he's not that kind of man manager

Maybe but what I got out of it, reading between the lines a lot of the players needed a break from him. Probably reading too much into it and I'm usually wrong anyway. :) Saying all that we didn't do that much better under Frank.
I always find it interesting when players speak up like this. Like you I’m probably reading too much into it, but what resonated with me was him talking about how frank will know which players he can trust and which ones he can’t. In my mind implying what we as supporters already suspect and that there’s rotten apples not committed to the club cause.
Interesting comment for a current player.

I always find it interesting when players speak up like this. Like you I’m probably reading too much into it, but what resonated with me was him talking about how frank will know which players he can trust and which ones he can’t. In my mind implying what we as supporters already suspect and that there’s rotten apples not committed to the club cause.
Interesting comment for a current player.

Can believe the rotten apples bit, that probably happens when you have 5 or 6 different managers players in the same squad like we have. Lack of trust between players old and new and definitely some players who think they are being pushed out by the new manager and down the pecking order.

Can believe the rotten apples bit, that probably happens when you have 5 or 6 different managers players in the same squad like we have. Lack of trust between players old and new and definitely some players who think they are being pushed out by the new manager and down the pecking order.
...an accurate assessment, in my opinion.

Some will train harder play harder,others just fold their hand.

What he's said is what the pudits and the "Lampard got them 16th" brigade don't understand.

Benitez crushed the soul of the club and the players mentally. Staff and players leaving, poor performances, a long streak of losing games, injuries...

If we were a boxer we'd have been on the canvas when Bentiez left, having a slow countdown. He would've never have turned it around because he's not that kind of man manager
I’ve never known a boxer to throw the towel in himself but I think some of the players let Benitez down, some of them certainly made more mistakes than he did and he made a few to be honest, they upped their game at Goodison Park because of the support we fans urged out of them and despite the fantastic away support gained only four points on the roa.

I’ve never known a boxer to throw the towel in himself but I think some of the players let Benitez down, some of them certainly made more mistakes than he did and he made a few to be honest, they upped their game at Goodison Park because of the support we fans urged out of them and despite the fantastic away support gained only four points on the roa.

Those mistakes carried on right until the end of the season - two palace goals were comedy of errors. However...they had enough to fight back.

Just don't think Benitez is ever the right man manager to do that to do team of players. Even his love children or Cara and Slippy saw Houlier a better man manager than he was.

There's plenty of examples of boxers staying on their stools when the bell goes for a new round. No mas.

Status
Not open for further replies.