Confirmed Signing Andros Townsend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, what's his colour to do with anything?

Nothing at all, i realize mentioning that came out a little weird. Sorry to anyone who picked up on it as unsensitive.

Anyway, glad he is mentioning how hes been told honestly that he came in as a squad player, and clearly a Benitez transfer.

Have to say that i hope the low expectations here will help. Townsend seems like the kind of guy who grows well into ambition instead of buckling under them.

That may be the reality of the situation. I don't know. But if it is it's totally self inflicted and down to the very poor decisions made by management and senior officials at the club over the last 5 years.

As a fan I have a right to be angry about that and to criticise the club.

If you know my posting history you'll know I'm normally very positive and have frequently defended the club, managers and players against attacks from other posters on here. Well, with the exception of Sam Allardyce that is :)

But I can honestly say I have never felt more distanced from the club I supported as a boy, and I'm 60 now. Truly horrified by what I'm seeing.

Very similar position myself Fred. In the 70s we were suffering from our 60's hangover, but still a 'big' club in the then 1st Div. The 80's was our golden period. The 90's was the hangover from losing the European competition we had earned, but it was also then in my opinion when we lost the so called big club advantage we had, because of poor and complacent management from our then owners - lack of vision around what was needed to stay at the top table.

Since the millennium, we have been served by a passionate owner who unfortunately never had the acumen nor the financial backing to take the club back to the top. We all know this story. However, while Blue Bill said and did what he could 'as a fan' to keep the club connected with the fan base, he ultimately could not take the club forward.

Step now into the Moshiri era. To be fair he's spent a shed load of money, and still not got what he wants. I agree he has lost the connection with the fans, but he's running a business that is trying to get us back to the top table.

All of this rather over-simplifies the situation, but at the end of the day, we as fans are left to contemplate having either a club that gets the job done it's own way, or one that makes it's commercial and football decisions based on what they think may placate the fans.

That's the way I see it now. And to be fair after decades of bleating about becoming wannabees, I'm prepared to see a less populist approach get a fair run.

Will now put on my tin hat and wait for the barrage of 'moshiri has had 5 years and is still cack' shouts - I think he's finally now decided to do things HIS way rather than in a way that panders to the fans' nostalgic expectations.

Best interview I’ve seen from a new signing.
The lad looked made up.
Hope it works out for him and us now.
Absolutely correct.
Excellent interview but you'd expect him to be media savvy having worked on Talksport all summer.
However , whilst I'm not a fan of this signing , his attitude is really refreshing.
I will paraphrase " Everton think I'm coming as a squad player but my job is to prove them wrong ".
Wish more players ( take note Gomes Delph etc ) had this outlook.
However talk is cheap please do it on the pitch Andross.

Great interview however he's hardly going to say, yeah mate, everton are crap, I'm crap and only here for a pay day.

Wearing the number 14 tonight.

Hope this is the start of a good season for the lad, seems a good fellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.