2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs to not be used as a holding midfielder. Its just not his thing. did really well yesterday, getting forward, crisp passing and a great assist for DCLs goal.

Yeah I have thought that for a while, he is much better further up the pitch for me.

I know his stats are not great (I don't do stats) but he can pick a pass and has a decent shot on him on the rare times he gets a shot off. He gets a little bit more time on the ball further up the pitch too.

....seems to have got himself into form with cameo off the bench. Watched the clubs training session this week where he actually won the knock-out goalscoring competition.

We know his weakness in that he’s easy to run past and has no power of recovery but his quality on the ball is better than any of the other conventional CMs. It would be good if we had other options with that passing dimension.

This is why stats don't work in football.

The past two games have seen him pushing up more, you never saw him around the box in the past. In the past two games he has been in a position to put a cross in and his natural quality has provided dividends for us.

I don't want him anywhere in our half as he is too slow and may as well not be there.

Think all last night really proved is that if you give the guy the space he'll do bits. That's also probably part of the reason why he seems more effective being introduced off the bench after an hour of a game.

I like Andre, I do, but it's clear that when he's hassled and harried a bit more he struggles a lot. Good, bright performance last night though.

i think Gomes should be employed when we come against side that are going to give us all the ball.

if we are going to be up against it, he shouldn't play.

still too easy to get past.

but hey he is very good looking i guess, still waiting for the fragrance release simply called "Andre" in cursive for sure

Yeah I'd play Digne left mid too, like against Wolves but we could play Ritchie right mid instead of Iwobi. I like the idea of James playing off DCL as a 10

Yeah, Iwobi has been playing well though so wouldn't be against him starting.

That being said, Carlo clearly protected Richarlison the other day so he'll likely start - would definitely give us an extra threat from crosses if we can get Digne down the opposite side.

The thing with Gomes is he can’t deal with any kind of press - goes completely missing. Man U game being good example.

When he comes on as sub, inevitably intensity of game has dropped. Players don’t close down as quick, gives him bit of extra time, which obviously suits him.

He did OK last night, great ball for goal but they didn’t put in a single tackle. No pressure on the ball, we could what we want.

He has to effect PL games when he starts, not just 20 min cameos.

This is why stats don't work in football.

The past two games have seen him pushing up more, you never saw him around the box in the past. In the past two games he has been in a position to put a cross in and his natural quality has provided dividends for us.

I don't want him anywhere in our half as he is too slow and may as well not be there.

Stats clearly aren't everything and they can be overstated but it's silly to just write them off as they "dont work in football"

Stats aside - on this;

Yeah I have thought that for a while, he is much better further up the pitch for me.

I know his stats are not great (I don't do stats) but he can pick a pass and has a decent shot on him on the rare times he gets a shot off. He gets a little bit more time on the ball further up the pitch too.

I disagree.

I think he'd have scored more goals in his career if he had a decent shot on him - just the 1 in 60+ games for Everton and he isn't known for his shooting at all.

As for picking a pass? I'm not sure. He very rarely plays forceful, searching balls forward. He's not a player you look to force the issue of unlock a defence by any stretch - that's why his assist count has been so low.

I was astonished he provided the cross against Wolves - left footed. And against Sheff Wed that was another good left footed cross/assist. Brilliant.

But that's two moments in the last two games - that for me doesn't change my opinion.

Hopefully he continues his momentum from the last two games but I can't see the argument of him being in the final third because "he can pick a pass and has a decent shot"

Also dont think he gets more time on the ball further up the pitch either. The fact he needs that suggests a problem.

The thing with Gomes is he can’t deal with any kind of press - goes completely missing. Man U game being good example.

When he comes on as sub, inevitably intensity of game has dropped. Players don’t close down as quick, gives him bit of extra time, which obviously suits him.

He did OK last night, great ball for goal but they didn’t put in a single tackle. No pressure on the ball, we could what we want.

He has to effect PL games when he starts, not just 20 min cameos.

Agree with this.

I think Ancelotti has managed him really well to get him out of that particularly bad slump.

Gomes seems a confidence player more than most, hoping he kicks on - there's a very useful player in there when he wants the ball and we're doing well.

I do enjoy watching Andre when he's on form, if we can get him more consistent(well if carlo can) he is such a good player, incredibly frustrating watching him struggle at times.

With James belong him, when most of opponent defence is eying James, Gomes can do the job with the ball. Don't think he can't play when opposition press hard 'cause he can hold the ball pretty well and he is much more useful close to the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.