2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another one who I don't think the formation suited. The fact we improved when Delph came on says it all. He needs to play in a 4-2-3-1 as a number 8 with an extremely active number 6 alongside him. Europe may suit him as the pace is much slower.

Did think it was a blip and needed to find consistency and form. But I don't think he will.

However...I wouldn't get rid as he is effective in the right midfield that has legs. But nothing more than a squad player.

This is where we differ here, and I agree with quite a bit you say.

It’s not practically sustainable to keep hold of a “squad” player who’s on 80k a week, thats just over £4m in wages.

He was never blessed with pace before the injury, but he’s just not even came close to returning the same player, but as you said, can do a job when needed, but we could easily flog him to Spain or Italy for £15m and recoup some money and bring someone else in on a cheaper deal.

Ive nothing personally with him, but everything is slow, backwards, loves to undercook a pass. Which I’m genuinely gutted about cause he excited me loads when he first arrived.

I'm not sure what Thomas Partey could offer me, that Gomes hasn't already, based on tonight's performance.

Probably a few more grey hairs.

Talk about absolutely getting it wrong repeatedly in the transfer market for Arsenal.

Partey, Gabriel, Pepe, Willian, David Luiz in, then selling Martinez.
£35m on Mustafi, renewing Özil at £375k a week, Lacazette....

They’re just a bigger version of what we had with Koeman and Walsh, over paid, uninterested mercenaries.

Id actually take Gomes over Partey... £45m Jesus.

Hmm, we'll never be consistent challengers for the top 4 with this mentality.

I do think he'd better suited to Serie A though.

It’s not a case of having the wrong mentality, it’s a case of having more resource to improve the squad.

There will be talent all over the globe who are desperate to play in the Premier League, and we could have them on our books, be more creative than Gomes and be on a fraction of his wages.

£80k a week for a bench player is all well and good if you’re Manchester City, but we’ve got a stupidly high wage Bill as it is, and we’ve not got the turnover to command £80k a week for a bench player.

Oh and sorry, I sound like The Esk lol

This is where we differ here, and I agree with quite a bit you say.

It’s not practically sustainable to keep hold of a “squad” player who’s on 80k a week, thats just over £4m in wages.

He was never blessed with pace before the injury, but he’s just not even came close to returning the same player, but as you said, can do a job when needed, but we could easily flog him to Spain or Italy for £15m and recoup some money and bring someone else in on a cheaper deal.

Ive nothing personally with him, but everything is slow, backwards, loves to undercook a pass. Which I’m genuinely gutted about cause he excited me loads when he first arrived.

Europe is a different ball game though. He'd be excellent in Europe due to the pace that may suit him.

We need a squad. We don't have one especially when another, what, 5 players+ will be leaving in the summer?

Europe is a different ball game though. He'd be excellent in Europe due to the pace that may suit him.

We need a squad. We don't have one especially when another, what, 5 players+ will be leaving in the summer?

I mean, personally I’m letting a central midfielder go and bringing in a new one (I just think that Allan and Doucoure do a great job, but we miss the energy without Doucoure - and we always get energy).

For me, Davies, Sigurdsson and Gomes are realistically being asked to play similar roles and just feel if we’re pushing on to the next level, we need someone with a bit more in the middle, and Gomes would be the player to make way.
I do completely agree, he’d be very handy for the Europa, but that could easily be over after 8 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.