2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is the only player who won the ball back in the final third because he read the game well and got determination to push forward.

He done it against RS before Davies hit the post.
Last night he almost sent Dcl through on goal but that referee was stupid lol

For 10 minutes when he came on until we changed it, then he had to drop back to s a similar position that gomes plays and he never touched the ball
It was Very good management from Ancelotti but it was equally poor from Rodgers. I’m not sure dropping Maddison back was a response to our changes, it was as if he thought we were on the ropes and went for the kill with more attacking players, but then they lost the thing that had been causing us problems in the first place. He is good Maddison, but a totally different player to Gomes.

I thought he played quite well yesterday. There seems to be this two sided debate on him, and I probably fall between the cracks. One side suggest he's world class just getting back to fitness, the other state this is his best and he's not world class.

He will get better, I don't think he is going to right all the wrongs in his game.

There's a bit of mythology around him because hes handsome and a nice bloke. However like most players he does some things well and others less so. Without the ball he's a bit static, he can go missing in certain games and is a bit inconsistent. Against Norwich he was poor.

However yesterday and in the derby I think he did well. You have to factor in he's up against 3 in that area of the pitch which isn't easy. Yesterday he's against Teilemans who's apparently a bargain at £45 million (Not for me) and Ndidi who is meant to be one of the best in the business. Playing next to him is Sigurdsson who's meant to be terrible. I think we gave as good as we got in that area of the pitch, which is by no means a massive criticism.

As the game went on, I thought he got us up the pitch well, and took the ball in difficult areas, winning us some key fouls in the process and holding players off him.

As with most of this team, he's not perfect but he's doing ok for us.

How good/bad do you think the Sigurdsson Gomes partnership actually is?

He’s okay, but his lack of athleticism is going to prevent him from ever being elite. I think he’ll be a squad player eventually, someone who starts against certain teams and comes off the bench against others. Which is totally fine because if we are playing in Europe we will need squad rotation.

He’s okay, but his lack of athleticism is going to prevent him from ever being elite. I think he’ll be a squad player eventually, someone who starts against certain teams and comes off the bench against others. Which is totally fine because if we are playing in Europe we will need squad rotation.

I don't think athleticism is necessarily required but we probably need to build the team around him to compensate. Pirlo never had much of it but was always protected by runners. Think he just needs to get through these games, have a rest, pre-season and we'll see him back to his pre-injury form again.

I don't think athleticism is necessarily required but we probably need to build the team around him to compensate. Pirlo never had much of it but was always protected by runners. Think he just needs to get through these games, have a rest, pre-season and we'll see him back to his pre-injury form again.
Yep. He needs legs next to him. That shouldn’t be news to anyone. Unfortunately the only somewhat mobile midfielder we have at the moment is Tom Davies.

Agree with that analysis, but I'm not sure this is too different to his pre-injury form to be honest. When he's good he's excellent (West Ham this season, his first 7/8 games last season) but he is prone to having periods where he's just a bit of a passenger. Villa early in the season was right up there with the worst midfield displays i've ever seen, he was absolutely hopeless, and he was really poor at Brighton too in possibly his last game before the injury. He needs to be more consistent, so that he's at least decent even when he's not on it; he's been way too up and down so far.

True he can be inconsistent. But It's hard to fully judge him coming back from a serious injury and alongside some of the dross he has been playing with. He looks rusty and also worried he has to play with the hand break on as he doesn't have confidence his midfield partner

Agree with that analysis, but I'm not sure this is too different to his pre-injury form to be honest. When he's good he's excellent (West Ham this season, his first 7/8 games last season) but he is prone to having periods where he's just a bit of a passenger. Villa early in the season was right up there with the worst midfield displays i've ever seen, he was absolutely hopeless, and he was really poor at Brighton too in possibly his last game before the injury. He needs to be more consistent, so that he's at least decent even when he's not on it; he's been way too up and down so far.

Does have his off-games but these are like new levels of off to me. He just walks after people kicking their heels even more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.