An Open Letter to David Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayee

Player Valuation: £40m
Dear David,
You may wonder why I'm writing this now, and didn't during the pre season/summer. I took time out to reflect on the happenings and to work out exactly what I wanted to say.
Firstly, I must thank you for your 11 years of service to Everton; you gave us hope during the dark days; you took on a very aged team who were dangling perilously close to the trap door into the first division (before it was called the Championship), before you came we had Steve Watson playing as a lone/supporting striker (when Radz was fit), you came along and reinstated my beloved Duncan Ferguson as captain, you knew how much the club meant to him and entrusted him with his armband once more. You coined the phrase "The People's Club" which endeared you to fans instantaneously. You kept us up that first season, then the second season, "Magnificent Seventh" - the dizzy heights of the top half of the table which we hadn't seen for far too long. You signed the likes of Nigel Martyn, Tim Cahill, Mikel Arteta and Phil Neville, stalwarts of the club; and more recently (yet still long ago) you brought us Leighton Baines, Steven Pienaar, Phil Jagielka, Sylvain Distin, Tim Howard; infact, the vast majority of the current first team squad; and bar some dubious signings (Kroldrup, Bilyaletdinov) and some trouble makers (Van Der Meyde and Drenthe) you got it pretty spot on. You led us to Wembley (twice) in 2009 for the first time in 14 years and again in 2012; although we didn't win, we enjoyed getting that far in the FA Cup, we loved our big days out to the capital! You led us to the Champions League (albeit for the briefest spell, but CL nonetheless) you led us into Europe and gave the fans a taste of European football once more; you cemented our place as an established top half team. My only (and it's a big one) irk was your refusal to offer Duncan Ferguson a new contract in 2006, I'm sorry but I will never forgive you that! Anyway, I digress.
Rewind to last season.
Us Evertonians had resigned ourselves to you leaving with the stalling over a new contract, yet we still backed you. Even when you took the Manchester United job we supported you; we were there in our thousands for your last home game at Goodison; we gave you a heroes reception. We were all emotionally moved by this, I know you were too. It was the end of an era; we wished you well and we knew that you would receive a heroes welcome upon your return with your new club; you'd been fantastic for Everton Football Club and none of us begrudged you a crack at arguably the biggest job in football. The majority of us would rather you have stayed, but that was not our call. We worshiped you, like hero worshiped you. You were the Moyesiah, we sang your name, "He's got red hair but we don't care", we treated you very very well, unlike many fickle football fans, as you are now finding out the hard way.
So as I was saying, even after you left, we wished you well and held you in the highest regard; that was, until, you tarnished our name and tried to bite the hand that fed you so fruitfully for 11 years. You had a sly dig in the papers about finally having the team to win at Anfield. Remind me how that one went? You poached Fellaini from us and tried your best to take Leighton Baines too; offering a pathetic amount for the pair of them, then ended up paying more than that sum just for Marouane. You insinuated that Baines' career would falter if he were to stay at Everton, yet you fought tooth and nail to keep him with us when you were our manager. Evertonians don't take kindly to these things; we are not fickle but we are deathly passionate and will fight with our last breaths for our club. I appreciate you don't "get it" like we do, like Duncan does, like Kenwright does, but you showed us absolutely no respect. It felt similar to losing an uncle, one who has been there for years and has tried his best to see you smile, an ever present at family gatherings, then suddenly he breaks up with your aunty and basically tells you to get stuffed and that he's better, and his new mrs is all that matters.
This is why, David Moyes, you will receive a hostile reception upon your return to the Grand Old Lady; it's not that we didn't care because we did, more than you probably realised, it's the way you've treated us since you departed. I would wish you all the best but after the way you've treated Everton and Evertonians, I'd be lying.
Adios David.

Add to that his approach from Alex Ferguson in February and his different tactics used away from home than Martinez does. I.E Moyes would've held on for a point at Villa and it would've been considered a good point considering we could've been 2-0 down in the first half. Martinez proved tactically different and decided to go for a win.

Moyes, if you are reading this, be prepared for 3000 Evertonians on the 4th December as we will takeover old Trafford and give you the utmost hostility. F You.

Add to that his approach from Alex Ferguson in February and his different tactics used away from home than Martinez does. I.E Moyes would've held on for a point at Villa and it would've been considered a good point considering we could've been 2-0 down in the first half. Martinez proved tactically different and decided to go for a win.

Moyes, if you are reading this, be prepared for 3000 Evertonians on the 4th December as we will takeover old Trafford and give you the utmost hostility. F You.
no i'm not getting into the nitty gritty, for all we know we could have been 3 up at HT at villa under moyes, that we will never know

I think Moyes was exactly what we needed when he came. We needed a culture of work ethic and discipline, we needed someone who could operate in the transfer market to a budget.

You sensed in the last couple of years that he was starting to lose interest though and maybe the team was outgrowing him. He never fully trusted the players when it mattered.

He was the right man at the the right time but as things stand now, I'd much rather Martinez take it from here.

Moyes isn't the first and certainly won't be the last to take players from his old club. Some have taken this far to personel, it's business...it's football...it's what happens. The moment he'd taken over at utd that was his No.1 priority, not us! Seems harsh, seems cruel and heartless, truth is it's football.

Our very own new Mr Nice guy manager ripped the heart out of his Wigan side. He's brought 4 players here ffs.

Anyways, currently I'm having much more enjoyment watching a better Everton side than man utd's current team. Lots more satisfaction in that than getting some boo's in when we play them.

He's shown his arrogance since he left imo. I underestimated just how self absorbed he was tbh. I don't blame him for trying to sign 2 of our players, it happens - but the manner in which he tried to bring it about & some of the comments he made in the process, ruined his standing as far as I am concerned.

One thing's for sure, he won't be looking forward to December 4th.....

Moyes isn't the first and certainly won't be the last to take players from his old club. Some have taken this far to personel, it's business...it's football...it's what happens. The moment he'd taken over at utd that was his No.1 priority, not us! Seems harsh, seems cruel and heartless, truth is it's football.

Our very own new Mr Nice guy manager ripped the heart out of his Wigan side. He's brought 4 players here ffs.

Anyways, currently I'm having much more enjoyment watching a better Everton side than man utd's current team. Lots more satisfaction in that than getting some boo's in when we play them.

My problem is how he went about it and publicly saying baines needs to leave for the sake of his career!
you say 4 players, one was on loan there and one was out of contract

first division?? football was born in 1992.

Pre 1992, we had the first division, second division, third division and fourth division. Then the premiership, division 1, division 2 and division 3 were the names between 1992 and 2004(ish?) now they're the premiership, championship, league 1 and league 2.

Just so you know, he was given old broken legs full blessing to sign the Wigan players. Kenwright told moyes not to try and get Baines. Felli may have been different.

My problem is how he went about it and publicly saying baines needs to leave for the sake of his career!
you say 4 players, one was on loan there and one was out of contract

Pre 1992, we had the first division, second division, third division and fourth division. Then the premiership, division 1, division 2 and division 3 were the names between 1992 and 2004(ish?) now they're the premiership, championship, league 1 and league 2.

what?? when did u make up this crap?

I wasn't anti Moyes when he left. I understood the rational, he never made a secret of his ambition and there is nothing wrong with that. When I stood in the Park End and clapped him I also wasn't niave to the fact that he would be back in for Baines and Felliani. You really would have to be on another planet think he wouldn't. If I am honest I am not even arsed that he clearly let his contract run down because Fergie had tipped him off. He had given us 11 years and improved us no end. The fact that we are doing so well under new management is still largely down to him. People won't like admitting that but it's a fact.

However I am now anti Moyes; it's not because he came back for our players it's the timing of when he came back. If he had come in July and paid the clubs valuation for both players, most would have saw that as part of football and wished all parties good luck. Martinez would have had the money to do he business early and we would have moved on. As it was he deliberately waited until later in the window so he could try and force the players to do a 'Suarez' and force their moves through on the cheap. The fact that both players showed more respect to Everton than he did meant he ended up with deserved egg on his face.

What's worse he used the media in the same underhanded way he accused Mark Hughes as being 'classless' a few years back. This from a someone Fergie keeps reminding everyone is 'a man of integrity'. He wouldn't know the meaning of the word. It's clear now he will use whatever methods at his disposal to achieve his goals. He has no regard for Everton and he will find out in our 2 fixtures this season we have no regard for him as a result.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.