An open forum with Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would ask him why does he think a corner or crossed free kick is not a great way to score.

It's all very well trying to score the perfect goal but our dead ball deliveries (and people attacking them) are pathetic.

A goal...is a goal.
And thats down to the players, not his fault they cant beat the front man

You see folk on here, on twitter, down the pub etc pontificating about how Barry is finished, Osman is the devil incarnate, Hibbert shouldn't be playing, can't Martinez see that XYZ isn't being utilised in the best way blah blah.

Now - it's always said that the boss knows best and who are we to argue. But what if the fans were given a direct input (in a constructive, non-hysterical manner) into the manager, to say how they see it, and see if the boss might not see a different perspective?

Has this ever been tried? Would it undermine the manager?
Going back to your opener, I'm not sure that we should have "direct input" though. Explanations when matters go awry, yes, but if we started having actual bearings on the game things could go sour.

The boss sees day in day out who is fit, able, mentally prepared (domestic factors etc), has all the info from youth coaches as to who is ready for a chance - most of us have our 11 favourite players and think we're all goalkeeping experts.

Nice idea, I just don't think it'd work.

The majority of fans would've fumed last season when Osman came on against Villa...look what happened.

All in all, we think we know, we after a game can take apart everything that went wrong, but ultimately..the manager knows better than us.

Plus we'd only end up making one decision and thats cheese on toast in the canteen

In that case, why was Barry left on vs City? Would you not like the chance to discuss that candidly with the boss?

The fans get a birds-eye view of the game. The manager has to watch every game from the touchline. Do you not thing this perspective offers fans a chance to see something the manager does not?

The fans will pick up on different players' good and bad points. The manager does not get the chance to monitor all 11 players continually throughout the game. Do you not think this collective feedback might be of use to the manager?

It does not have to be a scathing attack on the manager, merely a chance to say how it is seen from the stands.

On matchdays he's in close proximity to a team of highly qualifed and hand picked coaching experts, who's jobs are to focus on specific players and make sure their fulfilling his specific tactical instructions. Besides this he's also got a team of performance assessors that watch replays of games several times over, monitoring a range of performance and data stats on each and every player.

There's nothing he can learn from "football manager" experts off the Internet.

And thats down to the players, not his fault they cant beat the front man

That's only half the story though. It's true, a professional player in ANY position should be able to deliver a decent corner. The lack of movement and determination shown by all involved suggests they are not worked on at all.

You listen to all his interviews about goals scored...he always mentions scoring from open play. It's great to score wondeful goals through attacking movement, but we had a few corners on saturday and all resulted in an easy clearance.

On matchdays he's in close proximity to a team of highly qualifed and hand picked coaching experts, who's jobs are to focus on specific players and make sure their fulfilling his specific tactical instructions. Besides this he's also got a team of performance assessors that watch replays of games several times over, monitoring a range of performance and data stats on each and every player.

There's nothing he can learn from "football manager" experts off the Internet.

Moral of the story: We need new performance assessors!

I would ask him why does he think a corner or crossed free kick is not a great way to score.

It's all very well trying to score the perfect goal but our dead ball deliveries (and people attacking them) are pathetic.

A goal...is a goal.

Exactly. I'd rather see us win 2-0 with both goals going in off the defender's arse after a goalmouth scramble than draw 1-1 scoring a well worked goal and then not having any chances for the rest of the game, i.e last Wednesday

it would be nice to have a fan representative at a press conference though don't you think ?.I realise this could cause chaos if they chose the wrong fan.........hmmm bad idea when I go a bit deeper into my thought.you'd only need one fella who runs against the grain.
What about fans being able to text a question after each game ,and the most asked question is given to the manager at the press conference...ie why didn't you play Et'o as a striker when we are in need of a goal,he is unique ,incredible,in our DNA,and for the previous 10 - 12 years has caused havoc to defences across Europe........see it would only take one fan to make a balls of it !.

nice idea though.

it would be nice to have a fan representative at a press conference though don't you think ?.I realise this could cause chaos if they chose the wrong fan.........hmmm bad idea when I go a bit deeper into my thought.you'd only need one fella who runs against the grain.
What about fans being able to text a question after each game ,and the most asked question is given to the manager at the press conference...ie why didn't you play Et'o as a striker when we are in need of a goal,he is unique ,incredible,in our DNA,and for the previous 10 - 12 years has caused havoc to defences across Europe........see it would only take one fan to make a balls of it !.

nice idea though.

A designated representative from this board, furnished with sensible questions as determined by a board thread, would have as valid an input as any journo would at a press conference. Is a supporters message board really so different from a newspaper website?

Status
Not open for further replies.