2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and Ireland is still part of the British isles, last time I looked at a map it wasn't detached, it's just not part of the UK. If Scotland ever gets independence it will still be British geographically. Anyway, Onana was born in Senegal and looks a very good player to me.
???

Good read
Thanks for posting this. Interesting analysis.

Good read
One on Garner is good too
@blindbert

Yes and Ireland is still part of the British isles, last time I looked at a map it wasn't detached, it's just not part of the UK. If Scotland ever gets independence it will still be British geographically. Anyway, Onana was born in Senegal and looks a very good player to me.
Coleman is neither British or even a member of the UK. He is Irish ....not hard to understand

Ireland is still part of the British Isles in the same way the rest of Europe is part of the British Isles..... which is not at all.

What map did you look at where Ireland was not detached... was it 350 million years old?

In Ireland, the term "British Isles" is controversial,[8][17] and there are objections to its usage.[18] The Government of Ireland does not officially recognise the term,[19] and its embassy in London discourages its use.[20] Britain and Ireland is used as an alternative description,[18][21][22] and Atlantic Archipelago has also seen limited use in academia.[23][24][25][26]

I think the sticking point is whether you consider British to be a synonym of a person being born of the ‘U.K.’ or ‘British Isles’

One of which coleman isn’t a member of, the other one he is.
I know Ireland is classed as British Isles but unlike a Jamaican being called carribbean and rightly so you cannot call an Irishman British. Northern Irish ,Yes.
It just boils down to Coleman not being from Great Britain, not from the UK therefore is Irish. That is what it is all about

True but the main point is Coleman is Irish not British......simple really
I've never disputed Coleman being Irish by nationality, I see myself as being English but born in the British isles. I also class myself as being European as I am classed as being from Europe. That's geography wise which was always my point. Onana was born in Senegal Africa and is now a Belgian citizen to get back on topic.

I know Ireland is classed as British Isles but unlike a Jamaican being called carribbean and rightly so you cannot call an Irishman British. Northern Irish ,Yes.
It just boils down to Coleman not being from Great Britain, not from the UK therefore is Irish. That is what it is all about
There is a difference calling it great Britain and the British isles. One exists politically and the geographical.

Status
Not open for further replies.