2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't really group anyone into a group for comparison against eachother. I made a list of some of the great midfielders, some of who are black but you said it's lazy to make that comparison prior because they are black. My issue with you was that & not who is actually best to compare Onana too out of those players.
Out of that whole list there is a case for comparison (albiet a bit early as i alluded too in my original post) to many players if that's how an individual sees it. They all overlap eachother in many metrics whilst being very different in others but let's not call people lazy for making thier own assessments when many of the greats are black & thier choices happened to be black too. It insinuated something that didn't sit well with me.
It insuniates that there are racial biases in football discourse. I hope that doesn't sit well as it shouldn't.

It insuniates that there are racial biases in football discourse. I hope that doesn't sit well as it shouldn't.
But you don't get to label an individual as having a lazy opinion if in fact thier opinion was an honest & fair comparison of players who happen to also be black. Your good intentions is actually you being the issue then. I don't dispute the issue of racial biases but please just be careful of how you go about your accusations of other people. That's all.
Look this is going off topic so I'm going to end my part on this particular issue with this post. Feel free to reply & I'll read it but i won't continue on my part.

But you don't get to label an individual as having a lazy opinion if in fact thier opinion was an honest & fair comparison of players who happen to also be black. Your good intentions is actually you being the issue then. I don't dispute the issue of racial biases but please just be careful of how you go about your accusations of other people. That's all.
Look this is going off topic so I'm going to end my part on this particular issue with this post. Feel free to reply & I'll read it but i won't continue on my part.
Honestly just no comment. Just such a frustrating sentence.

As for Onana I have no comparison for him. There aren't many midfielders his size to start with. He's been doing some things that remind me of Fellaini but he's already way more useful out of possession. Fellaini frankly couldn't hack it as a deeper midfielder because of how bad he was there without the ball. But I also just don't think we have a feel for exactly what he is yet. I think he might have a bit more to show us in the final third once we have Gueye covering some of the space Davies can't.

Last edited:
The shackles are going to come off of him with Gana playing in the side too. The forward runs and switches these two will do is going to be an absolute nightmare to defend.

You can see glimpse of that when Gana came on. I would like to see what a fit Gana and a fit Onana could do. His run into the box positioning is good and he has gone into 2 or 3 really good scoring position (tap in) but nobody slide the ball to him.

Don't forget this is only Onana's 2nd or 3rd full 90 mins Prem game and without a proper preseason. And he is 21.

I thought it would take longer for him to settle in but seems to be growing a bit each game.

The shackles are going to come off of him with Gana playing in the side too. The forward runs and switches these two will do is going to be an absolute nightmare to defend.
It's going to be interesting to see what the best setup ends up being - Gana as the six and Onana box-to-box, Garner behind Onana distributing and playing as a Busquets lite, or Onana in the destroyer role and Garner in the box-to-box role.

All of those options would seem to have advantages and disadvantages. If everyone's healthy, it's possible to see Lampard cycling through those options to give opposing managers selection fits. If Garner proves not to quite be up to speed for the Prem yet, it's easy, but if he is we can give opposing teams a lot of different looks in the middle of the park.

It's going to be interesting to see what the best setup ends up being - Gana as the six and Onana box-to-box, Garner behind Onana distributing and playing as a Busquets lite, or Onana in the destroyer role and Garner in the box-to-box role.

All of those options would seem to have advantages and disadvantages. If everyone's healthy, it's possible to see Lampard cycling through those options to give opposing managers selection fits. If Garner proves not to quite be up to speed for the Prem yet, it's easy, but if he is we can give opposing teams a lot of different looks in the middle of the park.
Whatever works best for Iwobi

The comical part of this is Yaye Toure and Vieria were vastly different players. Toure had a 20 goal season, Vieira scored 29 in his Arsenal career. Lumping those two together is giving the game away.
Mate you’re looking for ways to be offended grow up.

We’re talking about a young player who can play 6, 8 or 10 and that’s why he has comparisons to different players who played further forward than others. Yet again, because you probably didn’t watch the game when Vieira played, you’re trying to use stats to understand who players were and there is so much more to football than stats.

Vieira and Toure had some very similar attributes, mostly being the power they had on the ball driving forward and how they were able to carry it forward with players bouncing off them. Vieira’s ability to win the ball back with his telescopic legs is something I see in Onana, as is the excitement when he drives forward and tries to pick passes or shoot side footed as opposed to laces which I saw Toure do loads in his time at City.

But if you have a great comparison who has a different skin colour you crack on mate and pat yourself on the back for being, I don’t even know what you’re trying to be to be honest it’s a mental thing to even bring up when we’re trying to discuss a footballer.

Whilst you’re at it please give me better comparisons than Gueye to Kante and Patterson to young Coleman that don’t make me look dead racist, cheers.

Fwiw @TheBigIguana when Fellaini first started making a name for himself, there were comparisons being made with him and Viera, it just so happens he’s one of the most well known big and powerful midfielders to play in the league.

I’m not sure if you’re just pulling legs, but if not you’re looking for something that isn’t there.

The moment stood out most for me; if you look at our 5 v 3 counter attack where maupay should have scored… onana get the ball in our own box and finds gray with a pass. Allan, doucoure, davies would have launched that ball up field, but he had the calmness to take his time ans start a counter. Thats a sign of a good player and one we haven’t had in midfield for years imo

Status
Not open for further replies.