2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young player plays well as a CM and seems to be getting at it so the idea is to have him instead play a different position up top just because hes tall.

Brilliant complex thought that.
Fellaini played well as a CM and played up top because he was tall...and that was when we had a couple of strikers to choose from.

Cahill (not as tall) also did the same.

Not exactly new ground being broken is it?

We have no target men, if you remember. Lateral thinking is required.

Not as the norm but for sure if were chasing a game.

We need to keep him bang inside the engine room as much as possible.
Fellaini was a very good defensive mid and not all that anywhere else. Why would you want to change position if he is good in the one he is in?

Watching MOTD…. What are the chances they refer to the Pickford / Van Dijk challenge when (or if) they address the challenge on Onana today.
I saw their grimace when they had to say it was the right decision when it was an obvious red

Would any lids that were writing him off a couple of weeks ago like to pop in and say hi

I can be honest, though far from being a lid like or writing him off, but I did say on his first appearance looked a bit like Niasse and some else said bambi.
He's looking good and he's being treated shockingly we need to protect him. There's a new spirit in the team they need to get in the face of the ref when
the likes of Van Dike kung fu kick him off the park.

Fellaini was a very good defensive mid and not all that anywhere else. Why would you want to change position if he is good in the one he is in?
I wouldn't i meant if we were chasing a game last 10 minutes he could be an option throw up there.

I didn't mean make that his starting position.

….I don’t think he’ll go under the radar for long. Opposition managers will be noting him, the big boys will be watching.

….he certainly looks very shrewd business. If they are in it, I can see him being a star for Belgium in the World Cup.

….not only 21, but in a foreign country, at a new club with new teammates, hugely inexperienced & the pressure of a big fee.

Hate getting carried away, but I was thinking he genuinely could be the best young player we’ve had since Rooney.

I dare say I’ll get vaulted for that but I’m mightily impressed.

Belgium under Martinez were 1st and now 2nd (behind Brazil) in FIFAs rankings.

Axel Witsel has been their top defensive/central midfielder but hes now 33 years old and the media talk (i noticed when searching about Onana) is that Onana could be his replacement in the national side.

That may mean Onana -- Tielemans -- DeBruyne.

He'd need to usurp Dendoncker and Praet which (if he continues his current form) should be straightforward.

You've mentioned Pogba, myself Vieira and yesterdays performance underlined that potential. I'd say he and Patterson look like they could become ridiculously good if they hit their potential.

Thats simply based upon Rice/TAA current comparisons allowing for age.

Status
Not open for further replies.