2022/23 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than anything midfielders need to be athletic and have pace to play in the Premiership. Allan was/is a very good player but did lack athleticism.

Look at the players signed this summer. Onana and Gueye are both athletes with plenty of pace. I don't know enough about Garner to comment but he does look tall and strong.

He was not a bad player. I think his exit is inevitable consider the circumstances.

- He never played well under FL
- He was forced to play 2 man midfield due to lack of options last season
- Now that we have enough options to play 3 midfielders, we have better players and younger players, the club has invested in their future.
- Less than 12 months contract.

Keeping him would mean we need to consider a contract renewal and it really didn't look like it would happen under FL.

I think his decline is something most of us should've expect since Carlo left. Allan had a few good spells under Agent. But Allan just wasn't playing well since FL joined and lost his place.

Moyes signed Kilbane
martinez signed alcaraz, kone, McCarthy, robles
koeman signed Martina
allardyce didnt get to raid his former club
Silva signed Richarlison (?)
Ancelloti signed Allan
benitez signed Townsend
Lampard hasnt signed a chelsea or derby player I dont think

When a manager steps into a new job they often bring a known quantity or two with them, it helps get the plan across quickly and provides a bit of structure.

i felt he was very good at sniffing out danger but was let down horrendously by his sub par midfield partners

agreed, he was the brain in midfield but we didnt have the brawn to allow him to orchestrate.
I always felt the opposite to be honest. His positioning was generally dreadful, I don't think i've ever seen a defensive minded midfielder be caught the wrong side of the ball so often. For me he was hard working and wholehearted but was regularly let down by his inability to sense danger and understand what was required of him in the role he was playing.

Last edited:

More than anything midfielders need to be athletic and have pace to play in the Premiership. Allan was/is a very good player but did lack athleticism.

Look at the players signed this summer. Onana and Gueye are both athletes with plenty of pace. I don't know enough about Garner to comment but he does look tall and strong.
Allan is plenty strong, he’s just slow.

I always felt the opposite to be honest. His positioning was generally dreadful, I don't think i've ever seen a defensive minded midfield be caught the wrong side of the ball so often. For me he was hard working and wholehearted but was regularly let down by his inability to sense danger and understand what was required of him in the role he was playing.
Sort of what I was saying. He likes to go marauding but with only two in the middle that left huge gaps and he’s now too slow to get back in time. Not the temperament to stay in his lane which despite his other shortcomings Davies has done when called upon.

Allan is not tidy when we needed tidy. He used to be a destroyer but he got old.

Status
Not open for further replies.