2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking to evertonfc.tv about that match, Alex Iwobi said: “I was doing all right but then played a sloppy pass. The fans clapped the pass because they saw the intent. It was the first time that had happened for ages.

“To hear that change in environment, I felt, ‘Wow, that is kind of nice – as long as you are giving 100 per cent, if it doesn’t come off, they will stay behind you’.

“That support removes the fear of making mistakes, you are prepared to try things on the ball.

“I feel much more confident. My friends tell me about the positive comments and the fans singing my name, and my dad is always looking on social media to make sure everything is good.

He realised if he put in a shift, he'll get support no matter what.

That's what was the big change in my opinion.

Remember the fume when he posted on Instagram saying he wasn’t being used in his best position

Which he thought was a number 10 not a 6.

End of the day, Lamps took a punt on that position and it's working out for him.

Right up from his professional debut to 25 years old he's played as a winger. So let's not have this "born to be a midfield and spent best part of a decade out of position" rubbish

Imagine if we'd of got rid for say 20 million to Villa, who decide to give him a run in midfield and he transforms them !!! Nightmare stuff that !!

And that just goes to show these guy are only human and our comments can and do have an effect on there performances, social media and mis management probably a part of seeing dele go from top drawer to knicker drawer

It's better that fans acknowledge intent with progressive passing or someone trying something new and creative. The greatest players like Zidane and Riquelme never had every attacking pass come off for them but instead you would see them passing into space sometimes to reward good runs from teammates. Sometimes it won't come off but it's boss to hear players acknowledging the support of the fans for it. This season especially I'm all down for encouraging the lads to express themselves while we right the ship and take some of the pressure off them and I think that support and perspective really will give them added confidence like Iwobi states. UTFT!

I think perhaps we as fans should consider this with people like McNeill, Davies etc.

It’s a bit chicken and egg (we need to see a shift) but creating an environment where players have that confidence can have a massive impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.