2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is he can't cross. Sidibe could that's why he got assists on the right. A one footed, right footed player on the right is going to have to play down the line which means crossing which he can't do. He's in a position that emphasizes the skill he's least adept at.
That is probably true, so in that case I reiterate he isn't what we need. Even as a ten on the left he has attributes but doesn't produce enough to be a starter in either place. Which says to me he was bought as a winger it was a panic buy and we need better/different kind of player.

That is probably true, so in that case I reiterate he isn't what we need. Even as a ten on the left he has attributes but doesn't produce enough to be a starter in either place. Which says to me he was bought as a winger it was a panic buy and we need better/different kind of player.
We need someone somewhere on the field who can do something resembling consistent link up play especially when James is hurt. That's really all Iwobi is definitely able to do but we do need it. I don't think you can justify him over Richarlison but playing the right so Josh King can play the left?

Bolasie was fine until he blew his knee out. Same situation as now with Iwobi really, probably not good enough, probably an overpay, but also someone who in the moment we needed to get the most from to have a good attacking side.
I never rated Bolasie before we signed him, but he looked a very good attacking tool for us when he first signed.

Then the injury stuck a fork in him, but if you look at his career before that, it was only ever a matter time before he reverted to type.

I never rated Bolasie before we signed him, but he looked a very good attacking tool for us when he first signed.

Then the injury stuck a fork in him, but if you look at his career before that, it was only ever a matter time before he reverted to type.
Probably, although he seemed to understand how to provide service to Rom and he had never had anybody close to that to work with at Palace. He's not the type of player I'd have ever signed but I don't think it was as bad as people make out.

Didn’t think it was possible to top that but at this point it’s slightly less ridiculous than the alternative reality being occupied in this thread!

Been guilty of it myself, was convinced Faddy was the Scottish Rooney long after everyone else twigged he wasn’t. I blamed: formation, players around him, position he was played/not played, Davey Moyes set up, Davey Moyes negative approach, Davey Moyes didn’t like him, the grass was too long at Goodison etc. He left, I thought he’d go off and prove us wrong, he didn’t....in time I just had to accept he wasn’t good enough and I was wrong.

I've had loads like that. Ross Barkley for example.

It happens.

Know a couple of arsenal season ticket holders. When we were signing him they were surprised at the fee. Told me roughly what we would get. They said maybe might improve by getting more game time but zero end product and can play out wide. Cant cross. They were spot on.

Talking to one of them today and was chatting about the central number 10 position and he said no. At arsenal when played there was decent enough when there was space there and if teams did not sit back. If they low blocked he was utter garbage.

So no suprise really.

Know a couple of arsenal season ticket holders. When we were signing him they were surprised at the fee. Told me roughly what we would get. They said maybe might improve by getting more game time but zero end product and can play out wide. Cant cross. They were spot on.

Talking to one of them today and was chatting about the central number 10 position and he said no. At arsenal when played there was decent enough when there was space there and if teams did not sit back. If they low blocked he was utter garbage.

So no suprise really.
With respect to the Arsenal support they swore Iwobi wasn't good enough and since selling them have yet to have someone have more league assists than he did his final season there. Their illusions of grandeur are reaching kopite levels.

He's a paupers Pienaar. He tried to move and show for the ball as a number 10 in ways that actually reminded me of Pienaar a bit on Sat, albeit when Pienarr came inside from the left or on a rare occasion he played centrally. Mostly in that he did find space (or try to) and is more mobile than either Siggy or James.

But he really really really isn't anywhere near as good with the ball as any of the three mentioned above. Credit for playing in Davies for the assist on Sat though. But yeah, big big doubts about him.

It's frustrating, I'd rather be waxing lyrical about our players than being meh.

With respect to the Arsenal support they swore Iwobi wasn't good enough and since selling them have yet to have someone have more league assists than he did his final season there. Their illusions of grandeur are reaching kopite levels.
I imagine the Arsenal fans would be begging us to swap Iwobi for Smith Rowe..

I imagine the Arsenal fans would be begging us to swap Iwobi for Smith Rowe..
Smith-Rowe is where Iwobi was in 2016. Could go either way. Point being they'd have told you selling Iwobi and paying the extra 40m to get Pope was good business. They aren't always sensible.

Hasn't Saka got pure loads?

That saka is 20x the player iwobi is

Saka has a lot of potential but right now he's about the 6th best young English attacker
He's not just potential though he's arguably one of their best players at the minute, but that's for another day, I replied to you about them not having someone who's replaced iwobi in terms of assists etc and saka has come in to replace him and his already a far more effective player

Status
Not open for further replies.