2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stick he gets isn’t ridiculous or disproportionate and he’s not a scapegoat. I understand that for you, chief fanboy and demonstrably the least objective poster in this thread, it is hard to accept but there it is.
It is. Go find the start of the match in the Florida Cup thread and count up the posts saying he's awful within the first 20 minutes of the first preseason game. No one else gets that.

Because. He. Was.
See the thing is without even going into whether he was or wasn't the criticism he gets is constant and unyielding while half the team is also terrible and it's indifference or excuse making. Doucoure was so bad that Andre Gomes made us 15x better. But did anyone say anything? Allan was bad too.

See the thing is without even going into whether he was or wasn't the criticism he gets is constant and unyielding while half the team is also terrible and it's indifference or excuse making. Doucoure was so bad that Andre Gomes made us 15x better. But did anyone say anything? Allan was bad too.

The difference is that if Doucoure/Allan were that bad every single game then fans would turn on them in an equal way. As it is, Allan has shown his class before, Doucoure hasn't been great but hasn't been constantly terrible either. So whilst they get highlighted...

Doucoure and Allan having bad matches so far

I can't take another season of Doucoure and Allan.

... they don't get the venom a Sigurdsson/Iwobi get because that's the result of a 'dripping tap' effect, where the fans patience has long since ran out with them.

Iwobi isn't a scapegoat - he's legitimately god-awful. All the bloody time. All that is happening is people notice it and comment on it. The onus is on him to actually play football well, not on the fans to happy clap him.

The difference is that if Doucoure/Allan were that bad every single game then fans would turn on them in an equal way. As it is, Allan has shown his class before, Doucoure hasn't been great but hasn't been constantly terrible either. So whilst they get highlighted...

... they don't get the venom a Sigurdsson/Iwobi get because that's the result of a 'dripping tap' effect, where the fans patience has long since ran out with them.

Iwobi isn't a scapegoat - he's legitimately god-awful. All the bloody time. All that is happening is people notice it and comment on it. The onus is on him to actually play football well, not on the fans to happy clap him.
It's wild because Chico used to do that thing where when a player got slated constantly and scored he'd say that most Evertonians lost but it is actually veering toward reality with Iwobi. People can't even be slightly objective about it to the point I'm not sure some of you would actually enjoy him doing well. And tbh he was easily one of our 3 or 4 best players in that friendly and this is the reaction. It's all a bit much. At least wait until he plays bad again?

It's wild because Chico used to do that thing where when a player got slated constantly and scored he'd say that most Evertonians lost but it is actually veering toward reality with Iwobi. People can't even be slightly objective about it to the point I'm not sure some of you would actually enjoy him doing well. And tbh he was easily one of our 3 or 4 best players in that friendly and this is the reaction. It's all a bit much. At least wait until he plays bad again?
Exactly this. People seem to think they are demonstrating some level of superior football knowledge by slating the lad before he's done anything wrong.

We have a new manager and have to give players a chance. I'm not saying he's been excellent in his Everton career so far, but certainly no worse than the likes of Bernard, Gomes and Davies. But he gets about 10x more stick and a lot of it is actually quite personal and nasty. Some blues revel in abusing our own players though, they absolutely love it.

People aren’t being fair to one of the worst signings in the club’s history, who has done nothing in two seasons at the club…shocker.
A season and a half of that was under some of the worst management in terms of a passing and attacking system I've ever seen fwiw. Not that Benitez is fixing that, but it's not really surprising that a player who is really limited to being someone who does well linking the play isn't good in a system and team that is largely terrible at that. The fit here is terrible and he hasn't been very good because of it.

But still unfair is unfair.

First half he was a garbage fire. Second half, with Broadhead/Gordon providing the pace and threat on the left it freed him up for 15 minutes so he could play in space, so he looked better, against Millonarios B.

You don't get that space in the Premier League against good opposition.

He's awful, truly awful.
Perfect example of what I'm talking about here. Even when he plays well (second half) he gets this sort of appraisal.

Laughable.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about here. Even when he plays well (second half) he gets this sort of appraisal.

Laughable.

That is exactly what happened. Every bit of what I said is fact, apart from "he's awful, truly awful", which is subjective but something I firmly believe is true.

But hes never played well, in 2 whole years.

He's played legit 'well' once, against Fulham at right wing back bizarrely.

He's had a handful of games where he wasn't complete garbage too. About five.

Other than that, yes, atrocious, all the time, every week, every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.