2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not writing him off, but he isn't better than Bernard and was definitely a panic buy after Zaha wasn't happening.
I said at the time and stand by this: We sold a better player in Lookman for significantly less than we paid for Iwobi.

I had as many doubts about him as anyone ahead of him signing... but to be honest, I... don't get the criticism of him at the moment? He's been Ok, hasn't he? Decent even?

Feel like I'm going a bit mad reading the feedback on him lately. Yeah he hasn't been brilliant but you're all making out like he's been a disaster. He hasn't - in fact he's massively exceeded expectations as far as I'm concerned!

He hasn't played as much football as he should have done by his age, and that lack of experience showed on Saturday.

Still, he won't be the last player to get the run around from City this season, and he's doing well overall.

Not writing him off, but he isn't better than Bernard and was definitely a panic buy after Zaha wasn't happening.
I said at the time and stand by this: We sold a better player in Lookman for significantly less than we paid for Iwobi.
Don't think so. He did nothing here for 3 years and has done nothing so far in Germany. Iwobi is an established PL player.

I like him but he's a naturally central player

Based on what mate?

Seems pretty ineffective centrally to me.

iwob.jpg

Based on what mate?

Seems pretty ineffective centrally to me.

View attachment 67848

Think Tim makes a fair point that he does like to drift centrally.

It definitely helps us (like the goal v City) in the sense of chucking crosses into the box (which is our only tactic atm it seems) yet we then miss that link-up play between Bernard and Digne.

I like Iwobi since he came in. He's done fine. He's a bit erratic like which didn't help against City. We couldn't get hold of the ball when it went down his side a lot of time because a) City were pressing so high and b) everything kept pinging off him

But then his pace and strength mean he's always a threat when getting into the box and he does have that bit of quality on the ball to split a defence, even with a longer pass like the one into Gylfi.

I do think centrally is where he should be playing more often than not because he's really the only ball carrier we have with any pace. Gomes can get us up the pitch but then doesn't break into the box. Iwobi does that.

Ultimately though with the way we play we need that player in that position to be getting 10 goals at least so it's whether Iwobi can manage that.

Status
Not open for further replies.