2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gylfi has been fine as well...13 + 6 = 19 Combined is very good. To progress to top 6 I think we need:

Combined 25 from him and our centre forward (Moise Kean or DCL)
Combined 20 from our other two attackers Richarlison and Iwobi.

That means everyone improves their stats this season, which will mean we will definitely be scoring more goals.
From Iwobi, considering he's signed as a starter I hope, I would expect 10 goals and 10 assists and call that an excellent season, and its a big improvement on both Bernard and Walcott.

lol oh my god hahaha what is this, no wonder our players get a hard time.

I think Gylfi has been fine as well...13 + 6 = 19 Combined is very good. To progress to top 6 I think we need:

Combined 25 from him and our centre forward (Moise Kean or DCL)
Combined 20 from our other two attackers Richarlison and Iwobi.

That means everyone improves their stats this season, which will mean we will definitely be scoring more goals.
From Iwobi, considering he's signed as a starter I hope, I would expect 10 goals and 10 assists and call that an excellent season, and its a big improvement on both Bernard and Walcott.

giphy.gif

lol oh my god hahaha what is this, no wonder our players get a hard time.

I'm just being optimistic...like when we spend £30m on an attacker, what are we expecting? Btw if he does NOT get this, I won't be giving him a hard time, just hoping for the best. Someone in our front 4 has to do something special to help us get to top 6. If they don't like I did with DCL, Lookman etc, I'll just go back to hoping, supporting, thinking our players are all brilliant whatever they do and enjoying the ride!

Anything with Trump in it is gross

I'm just being optimistic...like when we spend £30m on an attacker, what are we expecting? Btw if he does NOT get this, I won't be giving him a hard time, just hoping for the best. Someone in our front 4 has to do something special to help us get to top 6. If they don't like I did with DCL, Lookman etc, I'll just go back to hoping, supporting, thinking ou

All I ever read is people say he doesn't get involved enough, how can someone who scored 13 goals and put the ball on a plate for others constantly not be considered involved enough? He's our best attacking player but because he cost £45m everyone wants him to be absolute world class. Guess what £45m players aren't world class level anymore.

He scored 13 from centre forward not attacking midfield.

I think Gylfi’s great and could keep posting similar numbers from an attacking midfield position if we were brave enough to throw him in the middle.

If we added a proper striker or another minded attacking player to our front 4, in the role Gylfi plays now I’d think we’d enhance our chances of scoring goals and would get away with it on 75% of our league games were we will find the onus will be on us to break teams down, like last week when we were too negative during the middle 3rd (time wise) of the game imo.

That was 2 points dropped and we should have been looking to win there if we want the top 5. It was a settled and strong 11 we had out.

Let’s no pretend Gylfi’s an attacking midfielder though. It his is best position but he’s basically used as a striker in our current set up.

He scored 13 from centre forward not attacking midfield.

I think Gylfi’s great and could keep posting similar numbers from an attacking midfield position if we were brave enough to throw him in the middle.

If we added a proper striker or another minded attacking player to our front 4, in the role Gylfi plays now I’d think we’d enhance our chances of scoring goals and would get away with it on 75% of our league games were we will find the onus will be on us to break teams down, like last week when we were too negative during the middle 3rd (time wise) of the game imo.

That was 2 points dropped and we should have been looking to win there if we want the top 5. It was a settled and strong 11 we had out.

Let’s no pretend Gylfi’s an attacking midfielder though. It his is best position but he’s basically used as a striker in our current set up.
This is such an important distinction. Gylfi spends most of his time playing extremely close to our actual striker. He isn't dropping a bit deeper to help move the ball up the field and he isn't finding spaces around the box to link the play more often than he is in the box looking to finish. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it has at times given us issues in building up and creating chances. I know Gylfi led us in assists but he takes 70% of the set plays and played in every game. He is a below average creative player without the set plays. I'm not going to say he plays as a striker but he is closer to that than a midfielder. Kind of an in between role similar to Rooney when Van Persie was at United.

So as it pertains to Iwobi, I can see why we might want to try him in Gylfi's position. I understand that immediately takes goals out of the team but it adds a lot of creativity in. If Kean can be an actual goalscorer up top, the loss of Sigurdsson's goals is less of an issue. Adding in that Iwobi could play like a true attacking midfielder and link play in and move the ball forward makes it an enticing move. But I don't see it right away. I think he will start out wide and only move to Gylfi's spot if the goals dry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.