2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching the brands documentary and i was curious as to why he went for Iwobi.

Ive always liked him as a bit of maverick at Arsenal especially when he first came through, but we haven't seen that type of performance from him yet.

When you do a bit of digging on him though, some of his stats are actually incredible and unique in terms of positions he can receive, work and create in advanced areas. I suspect their is more then just the eye test at the moment, in the signing of Iwobi that we will look to build on.
The window was closing and Palace were asking for ridiculous money for Zaha, and Brands's MO is scouring big clubs' reserve teams. I think that's about the long and short of it.

He literally explained in the rest of his post what really happened.
You think that the plan going into the summer was to pay £28-34m for an Arsenal reserve player on Deadline Day?

That's even worse than me thinking that Brands just makes it up as he goes along.

You think that the plan going into the summer was to pay £28-34m for an Arsenal reserve player on Deadline Day?

That's even worse than me thinking that Brands just makes it up as he goes along.
Zaha was the first target. We know now that the pursuit ended a week before the deadline. We moved on to Iwobi.

We bought Iwobi to be a ball progressor who would hopefully become more effective in the final third. Although a different style of doing the job, I believe the chief reason for the Zaha interest was also his ball progression. He just had less question marks over production (well maybe not in hindsight) so we went for him first.

Zaha was the first target. We know now that the pursuit ended a week before the deadline. We moved on to Iwobi.

We bought Iwobi to be a ball progressor who would hopefully become more effective in the final third. Although a different style of doing the job, I believe the chief reason for the Zaha interest was also his ball progression. He just had less question marks over production (well maybe not in hindsight) so we went for him first.
If I was a director of football, I'd want you supporting my club.

If I was a director of football, I'd want you supporting my club.
Without turning this into the Brands thread, can we really complain about the job he's done on the whole? I'd say with the exception of DCL he's signed all our best players currently. And all of his signings are worth keeping around for the time being to. I'm more than willing to let him keep going and I don't know why anyone wouldn't be tbh.

Iwobi could still come good. Bernard and Walcott have both gone up a clear level under Carlo and Iwobi has played one half fit game under him. Iwobi's also the kind of player who needs an actual coherent attacking set up to thrive and we seem to have that now. With Walcott looking a doubt I'd hope we see him given a go this week.

That’s a lot of money to spend on someone who doesn’t really play. I know he’s been injured a bit but for that money you’d expect to see him on the pitch a bit when he’s been fit.

I don’t think Brands ever really wanted Zaha.

I think the pushing for him started before Brands arrived and came from either Silva, or more likely IMO, Moshri himself.

It did come out in the wash sometime later that our offer for Zaha was considerably lower than what was being said at the time.

I can see why Brands went for an Iwobi type player, someone with power and strength who could carry the ball into forward positions. With the improvement of our front players under Carlo the need for him has lessened considerably and he is not getting game time. With Gomes coming back he will get fewer opportunities, hopefully.
Looks like he and Brands have been victims of circumstance, with Arsenal dropping away he may have been better staying where he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.