2020/21 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you didn’t seem to notice that Doucoure and Delph were dropping into the full back positions when we had the ball..
I noticed it but to me that's just a midfield tactic and not the same as them playing full back. When we have the ball our fullbacks never take up that position. It is either unfilled or taken up by a CB drifting wide or CM coming back.

I noticed it but to me that's just a midfield tactic and not the same as them playing full back. When we have the ball our fullbacks never take up that position. It is either unfilled or taken up by a CB drifting wide or CM coming back.
Yup. Not his fault if that's how Don Carlo wants to protect us from the the counter.
People would complain if we left that space unguarded when the fulbacks came forward.

Particularly with Richarlison out, this guy needs to be driving into the penalty area regularly. Should be contributing 5 goals a season

That's all well and good but on Sunday he was playing at right-back.

That's on Carlo, and on Sunday it was the perfect chance for him to be played in an advanced midfield role.

Whole team played far too deep at the weekend. At least doucoure tried to get up the pitch and have a go. Still think he has been great for us.

He's been a solid signing. The whole team has dropped off since the Brighton game - a combination of not having the squad and having injuries and niggles from playing 7 games in four weeks before the international break (and then our players traipsing around the world for that).

Doucoure was clearly instructed - like Delph on the other side - to play as full-back cover to allow Kenny to push up the other day. It didn't work at all and wasted our only midfielder with any ability of getting into the area at pace.

Which is why it was so alien to the team.

I've just got his heatmap up on Opta.

We want him a) much more central and b) much more advanced

Capture.PNG

He's been a solid signing. The whole team has dropped off since the Brighton game - a combination of not having the squad and having injuries and niggles from playing 7 games in four weeks before the international break (and then our players traipsing around the world for that).

Doucoure was clearly instructed - like Delph on the other side - to play as full-back cover to allow Kenny to push up the other day. It didn't work at all and wasted our only midfielder with any ability of getting into the area at pace.
What you are saying is exactly what happened
How some lads cannot see this and think Delph and Doucoure were playing their normal positions is beyond me .
I said before the game that I thought Delph would start ahead of Nkounkou because I doubted that Carlo would play 2 FBs with little PL experience
While he started both he gave them license to attack but used Delph and Doucoure to cover them from the very start
This took away from the midfield
It was good in theory ,only problem was that Nkounkou and JJK were never able to get far up the pitch with the ball to feed DCL with crosses

Status
Not open for further replies.