Confirmed Signing Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaknesses: ball winning, progressive passing.

Those are pretty big weaknesses!

He would legitimately be the only scoring threat the midfield has.

He's 27th out of all midfielders in blocks which, for some reason, people care about blocks from midfielders - seems especially pointless from ones that tend to play more advanced. Seems to rarely get dispossessed for the number of times he touches the ball. 17th in tackles by midfielders.

Stats directly from EPL website. He's not weak in ball winning.

Doucoure’s assets when on form are his size, some speed, pressuring opposition into turnovers, running forward with ball and getting into the box. Allan is a better ball winner, tackler and interceptor (not at Gana level or even Hojberg, but Allan arguably has a much better all round game). He offers less threat in the opposing box than Doucoure & neither are creative passers (though Allan is a ‘play-linker’).

If (big if) we sign both a fairly defensive 442 is possible meaning we must upgrade wide but 433 looks a decent option with a Gylfi or Gomes in there. Gylfi for all the hate is actually more productive creatively than Gomes...

For completeness if Gbamin ever gets fit he theoretically offers Allan’s tackling, intercepting & Doucoure’s size & ball carrying. Another big IF.

Neither Allan or Doucoure are City/Liverpool level but one, other or both of them would potentially get games at most of rest of top 8 (maybe bar United) so it is hard to argue they would not improve us IMO. Age, VFM are all valid concerns but even one Euro adventure would significantly offset the risk.

Yes but Allan being good doesn't mean we should sign someone not good to play next to him.
I wouldn’t class Doucouré as ‘not good’ exactly. Is he an inspired signing? No, but honestly one that I welcome. Allan and Doucouré both seem to actually want to come and play for us. Ok, last season wasn’t spectacular but before that, Doucouré has been up there with some of the best DMs in the league in terms for goals and pressing. Hopefully a new environment and Allan next to him can recapture that. He’s prem proven, wants to be here and in the ‘prime age’ bracket. Let’s hope they both happen and click together ;)

I personally think we can find players who do more than that and/or are cheaper and younger.
We could find a lot of players who do things better than Allan and Doucoure for cheaper or younger but we aren't so it's no use going in circles, From my limited viewing Doucoure is your average box to box, He can do a bit of this that and the other which what we need but we mostly need our midfielders helping our strikers, Too many time it's just Richy and Dom trying do it all or we're swinging in a hopeless cross and hoping for the best, We also have JPG who people seem to forget, I know he's had horrific injuries but he's still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.