A Case for the Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevenger17

Great turn of pace, an eye for goal...
Despite what some of Roberto’s more stalwart supporters (davek) might say, I don’t think it can be denied that there is real pressure on him between now and the end of the season. After almost 2 seasons of poor results, I couldn’t blame anyone for casting their eyes elsewhere for a manager who could unlock the reserves of potential we have undoubtedly accumulated.

I’m in a growing minority now, and it’s not the usual white noise of post-loss kneejerkism shouting us down in the match threads, but a stereo blast of genuine, consistently held concerns about Martinez’ stewardship.

For my part, I was close to wanting him out around January last season, when our poor run of results was compounded by a seemingly unending sequence of dour performances. I wanted to give him until Christmas this season, and while we continued to chalk up way too many numbers in the draw column, I felt we were tangibly closer to something special, as our performances yielded goals and an exciting vision of our on-field potential. But that promise still hasn’t delivered.

Realistically, all our hopes are belong to the FA Cup. Win it, he buys some time, lose it and he may well be walking, barring a serious upturn of form between now and season’s end. Even winning it won’t be good enough for some.

Personally, I think calls to sack him now are insane. Even detractors have to admit that he has strengthened the squad considerably and, in my mind, has laid some incredible groundwork for a unified, attractive style of football that could very well outlast his tenure here. For his signings, his impeccable conduct and, yes, that first season, I think he has bought himself the right to at least finish what he started in this year’s FA Cup. By April, I might well be flexible enough to add my voice to the choir if we fall short in both our remaining journeys.

But until then, I really believe we can achieve something under this manager, and it saddens me to see that so many people have effectively given up, demanding blood after every single poor result and seemingly revelling in the plight of their own team if it pushes Martinez closer to the exit door. Some can’t even bring themselves to credit a good performance if the result is anything less than a win. We’re morphing into indulged Geordies at a rate that brings tears to a glass eye. Get behind your team for the remainder of the season because, at the very least, he won’t be going anywhere before then.

To close, I’d like to pose a question, and I’ll paraphrase the American Republican party a few years ago. Disregarding results and table place (I know there’s some who can’t), and speaking only in terms of long-term indicators like structure, finances, squad development, new talent and a lasting impact on the character and style of our football...

Are we better off now than we were 4 seasons ago?

Despite what some of Roberto’s more stalwart supporters (davek) might say, I don’t think it can be denied that there is real pressure on him between now and the end of the season. After almost 2 seasons of poor results, I couldn’t blame anyone for casting their eyes elsewhere for a manager who could unlock the reserves of potential we have undoubtedly accumulated.

I’m in a growing minority now, and it’s not the usual white noise of post-loss kneejerkism shouting us down in the match threads, but a stereo blast of genuine, consistently held concerns about Martinez’ stewardship.

For my part, I was close to wanting him out around January last season, when our poor run of results was compounded by a seemingly unending sequence of dour performances. I wanted to give him until Christmas this season, and while we continued to chalk up way too many numbers in the draw column, I felt we were tangibly closer to something special, as our performances yielded goals and an exciting vision of our on-field potential. But that promise still hasn’t delivered.

Realistically, all our hopes are belong to the FA Cup. Win it, he buys some time, lose it and he may well be walking, barring a serious upturn of form between now and season’s end. Even winning it won’t be good enough for some.

Personally, I think calls to sack him now are insane. Even detractors have to admit that he has strengthened the squad considerably and, in my mind, has laid some incredible groundwork for a unified, attractive style of football that could very well outlast his tenure here. For his signings, his impeccable conduct and, yes, that first season, I think he has bought himself the right to at least finish what he started in this year’s FA Cup. By April, I might well be flexible enough to add my voice to the choir if we fall short in both our remaining journeys.

But until then, I really believe we can achieve something under this manager, and it saddens me to see that so many people have effectively given up, demanding blood after every single poor result and seemingly revelling in the plight of their own team if it pushes Martinez closer to the exit door. Some can’t even bring themselves to credit a good performance if the result is anything less than a win. We’re morphing into indulged Geordies at a rate that brings tears to a glass eye. Get behind your team for the remainder of the season because, at the very least, he won’t be going anywhere before then.

To close, I’d like to pose a question, and I’ll paraphrase the American Republican party a few years ago. Disregarding results and table place (I know there’s some who can’t), and speaking only in terms of long-term indicators like structure, finances, squad development, new talent and a lasting impact on the character and style of our football...

second...

and yes, we are.

great post Prev

Great post.

speaking only in terms of long-term indicators like structure, finances, squad development, new talent and a lasting impact on the character and style of our football...

Talent, yes. Misused and likely to be off in the summer talent in a couple of cases. Finances, nothing to do with him. Structure, needs to be defined. Long term impact on style, who on earth could possibly know?

Just hoping you're not a lawyer or your clients might be going down.

I don't credit a good performance if we don't win because our issue is turning good performances into good results. If points were given for how well we'd performed in general then we'd be competing for the title. But we're currently 12th having played pretty well all season. That is a huge concern!

Of course we should support the team fully for the rest of the season but the pressure on Martinez is fully warranted.

He doesn't help himself with his ridiculous post defeat or post capitulation interviews

I think we are but it feels a bit like we went from dating a complete 2 bag munter who was good for us but lacked a spark to going out with a stunner but she is absolutely bananas bunny boiling mad and you know it wont last.
If you are going to work this as an analogy, a review of the following video may be in order. Somewhere along the way many of us worked it out in our own minds, but didn't chart it. We want a boss manager like we want a hot stunner.

The chart may help, because we all absorb knowledge in different ways. Where is Alex Ferguson on this chart? Jose Mourinho? Pep Guardiola?

Where is Everton on the cute/money matrix? This will clarify things for most.

also - Don't go all crazy because you see a gun, okay? (shakes head, walks away)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.