97/98 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just watching sky sports and they were showing the final game of the season with the relegation decider where we played Coventry and Chelsea played Bolton. Something I never realised until I watched the programme was the commentators were saying that the Chelsea fans wanted Bolton to score and equalise and the Chelsea fans were booing their own side for not letting Bolton score at the end.

is there a specific reason why Chelsea fans wanted us to be relegated? I don’t believe I have ever come across anyone saying they hate Chelsea fans but I would have thought that if they wanted us to be relegated that we would have some kind of hatred towards them but we seem to hate spurs and Newcastle fans more.

maybe some older generation evertonians can shed some light on this and explain.

Jealousy basically.

Its hard to fathom now, but Chelsea were a poxy little club playing at a woeful ground and with a terrible reputation of being thugs until the mid 90s. Think similar to Wimbledon.

Then suddenly, they had an influx of cash and a few Superstar players joined when they had Glen Hoddle as manager, starting with an aging Ruud Gullit, and in a matter of maybe 4 years or so, had started to climb and attract big names from abroad like Vialli and Zola, and changed their image and reputation to the rich, suave international playboy Chelsea they have been since. A few cup finals, a European Cup Winners Cup win, and a giant new main stand built, they managed to attract Abramovic, and the rest as they say is history.

It really can be as simple and as quick as that, or at least it used to be before FFP tried to eliminate that possibility for other teams going forward. But yeah, they went from nothing to 1 of the biggest teams in the world in just over 10 years.

Put it this way, prior to Gullit, Vialli, Zola, Petrescu and DiMatteo, they had Dennis Wise, Vinnie Jones and Paul Furlong, and had Mark Stein and John Spencer (yes THAT John Spencer) up front. And Dave Beasant in goal, with cars parked haphazardly only yards behind him.

So yeah, my guess would be jealousy, and wanting 1 of the big boys out of the picture. Bear in mind, at that point, we had won the league and Cup within the previous 10 years, and only Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool had done that in the same time frame.

It's easy to forget how far we have fallen in people's estimations, but don't let Sky TV fool you. We ate and always have been huge. We just have a terrible knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:
Jealousy basically.

Its hard to fathom now, but Chelsea were a poxy little club playing at a woeful ground and with a terrible reputation of being thugs until the mid 90s. Think similar to Wimbledon.

Then suddenly, they had an influx of cash and a few Superstar players joined when they had Glen Hoddle as manager, starting with an aging Ruud Gullit, and in a matter of maybe 4 years or so, had started to climb and attract big names from abroad like Vialli and Zola, and changed their image and reputation to the rich, suave international playboy Chelsea they have been since. A few cup finals, a European Cup Winners Cup win, and a giant new main stand built, they managed to attract Abramovic, and the rest as they say is history.

It really can be as simple and as quick as that, or at least it used to be before FFP tried to eliminate that possibility for other teams going forward. But yeah, they went from nothing to 1 of the biggest teams in the world in just over 10 years.

Put it this way, prior to Gullit, Vialli, Zola, Petrescu and DiMatteo, they had Dennis Wise, Vinnie Jones and Paul Furlong, and had Mark Stein and John Spencer (yes THAT John Spencer) up front. And Dave Beasant in goal, with cars parked haphazardly only yards behind him.

So yeah, my guess would be jealousy, and wanting 1 of the big boys out of the picture. Bear in mind, at that point, we had won the league and Cup within the previous 10 years, and only Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool had done that in the same time frame.

It's easy to forget how far we have fallen in people's estimations, but don't let Sky TV fool you. We ate and always have been huge. We just have a terrible knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Bang on the money this.

Was looking at the results that season we beat Liverpool at home that year and went into the final game after getting battered by arsenal

also seems like the only players who scored were Duncan Ferguson, Gary speed and Barmby and then Mikel madar turned up at the end

Jealousy basically.

Yes all good points here. The main stand was built shortly after our one was built, but theirs near enough bankrupted them until Matthew Harding took over.

To the young'uns this is what their ground looked like mid-90s:

Screenshot_20170115-093847.jpg

By the time they won the cup in 97 they were giving it large despite winning the square root of naff all by that point. So like you say Jealousy.

Yes all good points here. The main stand was built shortly after our one was built, but theirs near enough bankrupted them until Matthew Harding took over.

To the young'uns this is what their ground looked like mid-90s:

View attachment 103646

By the time they won the cup in 97 they were giving it large despite winning the square root of naff all by that point. So like you say Jealousy.
Sports stadiums in general are kind of cool to me and the evolution of Stamford Bridge is one of the most fascinating.

I was just watching sky sports and they were showing the final game of the season with the relegation decider where we played Coventry and Chelsea played Bolton. Something I never realised until I watched the programme was the commentators were saying that the Chelsea fans wanted Bolton to score and equalise and the Chelsea fans were booing their own side for not letting Bolton score at the end.

is there a specific reason why Chelsea fans wanted us to be relegated? I don’t believe I have ever come across anyone saying they hate Chelsea fans but I would have thought that if they wanted us to be relegated that we would have some kind of hatred towards them but we seem to hate spurs and Newcastle fans more.

maybe some older generation evertonians can shed some light on this and explain.
We are all guilty of it. We love it when big clubs go down. Grown men crying like at Newcastle or Leeds

Can’t remember the year but I remember watching Tony cottee miss a penalty at Stamford bridge in the cup and we lost. I remember at the time feeling like that was the beginning of the end. Don’t think we’ve ever really ragained our status as a club since then. Don’t know why I remember that point in particular but it felt really significant at the time.

Simple....It's because Everton are from Liverpool,And Cockneys don't like Scousers.

I think most fans wanted us to go down it's always the way when a big club is struggling. I'll be honest I like seeing Leeds, Villa and Newcastle in Premier League. I don't like it when there are too many smaller clubs up. I'm largely the exception. I would like to see Nottingham Forest, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday replace the likes of Brighton, Burnley and Fulham.

Imagine the cryarsing on here and other platforms if social media was around then lol I dread to think of how Howard would have been treated.

What would GOT's reaction to this lot have been?

97-98.png

Status
Not open for further replies.