40 since 30 evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebonic

Player Valuation: £35m
i havent noticed anything in here about it, but just to say it was a cracker night! Big Bob, looking fit and sounding as humble as he always has, supported by Jim Pearson, Dave Thomas, Mark Higgins, Mick Pejic, Derek Mountfield, and as a suprise, Mick Lyons, who was over from his home in Australia for his sons 40th birthday.

The Latch was saying how much it baffles him that he gets the attention and adoration from Everton fans that he does. He said he barely gets recognised in Birmingham or Swansea, but the Everton fans all over the world make a beeline for him for photo’s and autographs. He said what many have said since, that team with Dobbo etc. Was one good keeper away from winning silverware, and that had we broke the bank for Shilton, we would likely have matched if not overtaken Liverpools acheivements,

Dave Thomas was scathing of Allardyce, ‘supposedly a good tactician’ he said, ‘ asking Jordan Pickford to boot the ball forty yards down the pitch isnt tactics, its barely football’!

A great night, but sad also, not only seeing Davey Thomas as he was, but thinking of what mght have been! Oh well,come on Blues, dont let history repeat itself!

What a player Dave Thomas was... Him bombing down the wing and then delivering fabulous crosses over....

Never actually understood why teams don't do that more these days (Well we don't anyway); I see a lot of crosses in from diagonal positions which looks easier to defend and harder to attack.
Whereas a winger taking it to the goal line and crossing is harder to defend and easier for a forward to attack.

What a player Dave Thomas was... Him bombing down the wing and then delivering fabulous crosses over....

Never actually understood why teams don't do that more these days (Well we don't anyway); I see a lot of crosses in from diagonal positions which looks easier to defend and harder to attack.
Whereas a winger taking it to the goal line and crossing is harder to defend and easier for a forward to attack.
I agree 100% but that type of winger is almost extinct now. I was also saying to my dad that on the stage we had two superb exponents of the headed goal,in Derek Mountfield and Big Bob, but the ability to head the ball is also becoming a rare sight nowadays.

I agree 100% but that type of winger is almost extinct now. I was also saying to my dad that on the stage we had two superb exponents of the headed goal,in Derek Mountfield and Big Bob, but the ability to head the ball is also becoming a rare sight nowadays.

Andy Carroll perhaps is the one player I can think of like that in current PL teams. If he had quality crosses from the goal line he'd be unplayable.

I do think Theo Walcott has the talent to be that sort of winger (and he can deliver good crosses). But it's not Everton's tactics at the moment. We attack so rarely it's almost as if the players will get a rollicking for spoiling the plan.

Really odd though. More than any other club, we've a history of playing wingers & centre forwards who are great headers. Dean. Lawton. Royle. Latchford. Gray. Even Alex Young's most famous goal was a header.
We've been successful over the century because this method of attack is effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.