25 Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big one was that quarter final loss at home to Wigan.

Had we won that we would have had Millwall in the Semi's then a Man City side in the final who had downed tools for Mancini who Moyes had a great record against.

That was the big one alongside the 09 final.

I thought the United semi final was bigger. Lukaku had a penalty and several chances to win it. Palace waiting in the final. Feels like a better chance than beating that City team. People forget that Wigan City game could have been 5-0 at half time to City if Aguero had his shooting boots on. Wigan got lucky.

With man city wanting to dominate every competition it's getting harder and harder, I know it sounds sad but I always have big hopes we win the league cup every season with it being the trophy we've never won and with being taken less seriously by the big teams

Its not sad, its correct. Its a trophy we should really target. Its shocking the way we havent and even worse that its never been in our trophy cabinet.

Ancelotti is a proven winner and i think he will actually see that as a good way to get going here.

The problem is very much mentality - we struggle because we are constantly reminded of our poor record.

No trophy in 25 years - we flap everytime we have a good chance.

No derby win in years - we flap everytime we play LFC.

Poor record in away grounds - we flap everytime we play away at the top 6.

They are 3 monkeys on our backs that the media, pundits and our own fans constantly remind the players which puts pressure on them.

Was the same with the Kopites - the whole 30 years without a title has always played on them mentally which is why they have gone so long despite winning everything else- its taken a world class manager and a team of good players who have self belief to break that hoodoo.

Ancelotti alone wont do it (as we saw in the FA Cup this season) we need top players with a winning mentality whereas we have a mixture of past it players and ones who either dont give a toss or are mentally weak.

Only Richarlison and Holgate look to have the right mentality at the club at present. Sure Gomes, Mina and Digne are decent players but I question their actual mentality in terms of being serial winners - dont get me started on the likes of Pickford, Delph and Schneiderlin.

I thought the United semi final was bigger. Lukaku had a penalty and several chances to win it. Palace waiting in the final. Feels like a better chance than beating that City team. People forget that Wigan City game could have been 5-0 at half time to City if Aguero had his shooting boots on. Wigan got lucky.

The amount of cup games we've thrown away during my lifetime is actually insane.

I'd almost forgotten about that one and wish I could forget about a few more...

The amount of cup games we've thrown away during my lifetime is actually insane.

I'd almost forgotten about that one and wish I could forget about a few more...

I think there’s been a few ‘realistic’ chances for us to win a trophy since 95. Realistic meaning if we’d played to our full potential we could have beaten the opposition and won it.

Games I don’t count in that category are:

The 09 cup final - look at the teams, one had just been seconds away from beating the greatest club team of all time over 2 legs, the other had it’s three best players down the spine of the team missing.

2012 - yeah we messed up the semi final against a rancid Liverpool team but that same Liverpool team was easily put away by Chelsea in the final So I doubt we would have done much better especially as Pienaar was cup tied.

Realistic chances:

08 UEFA Cup: We we’re better than Fiorentina and could have beaten Rangers and Zenit to win it. Massive opportunity lost. If only Cahill has been fit for the second leg.

13/14 FA cup: we went out to an Arsenal team we could have beaten. The other semi finalists were Hull Wigan and Sheffield United. That game was essentially the final and not long after we spanked that Arsenal team 3-0 at Goodison.

15/16 FA Cup: as said we should have beaten United to be left with Palace in the final.

15/16 League cup: Harder as Liverpool would have been in the final but they played awfully that year and we should have taken City over the two legs, especially at Goodison, we should have won that 3-0 and put the tie to bed.

All the rest we probably would have run into a top team at the top of its form judging by how the draw turned out and in most of those years we didn’t have a first 11 to win those types of games at a neutral ground. You just can’t rock up at Wembley or an away ground with multiple injuries, kids in your team, slow players littered all over, and expect to win a game with a trophy on the line against teams like Chelsea and City who at the time had 1-11 world stars used to playing season in and out in the CL.

Largely Kenwrights fault - had he sold us on instead of holding onto his trainset for the large portion of time since 95 im confident we would have won atleast 1 trophy when we were up there with the then top 4.

Hopefully Ancelotti is given the funds even if it means breaking FFP and taking a fine/european ban - wouldn't be arsed one bit providing we won 1 or 2 trophies.

We had chances to win trophies. Our manager bottled it because he never wins big games.

To me it all stems to missing out on the King Dock ground for what BK could not raise a small amount - the City owners may have taken us on etc BK made a big blunder there - that was the time to attract investment if we had got and moved to the Kings Dock - look at the area now? the opportunities would have been mind blowing pop concerts, ground tours etc etc -
IMO an opportinity missed Everton that......

The most depressed I've been after a game I reckon. Longest coach ride home ever.

The problem is very much mentality - we struggle because we are constantly reminded of our poor record.

No trophy in 25 years - we flap everytime we have a good chance.

No derby win in years - we flap everytime we play LFC.

Poor record in away grounds - we flap everytime we play away at the top 6.

They are 3 monkeys on our backs that the media, pundits and our own fans constantly remind the players which puts pressure on them.

Was the same with the Kopites - the whole 30 years without a title has always played on them mentally which is why they have gone so long despite winning everything else- its taken a world class manager and a team of good players who have self belief to break that hoodoo.

Ancelotti alone wont do it (as we saw in the FA Cup this season) we need top players with a winning mentality whereas we have a mixture of past it players and ones who either dont give a toss or are mentally weak.

Only Richarlison and Holgate look to have the right mentality at the club at present. Sure Gomes, Mina and Digne are decent players but I question their actual mentality in terms of being serial winners - dont get me started on the likes of Pickford, Delph and Schneiderlin.

Like any problem, the first step in dealing with it is to acknowledge it.

I don't think the media have our best interests at heart in highlighting these "records" but as a club we have to face up to it and deal with it, particularly the problem with away results against top 6.

Ancelotti should talk about it, the players should, we should.

It's been a burden for years and will only get worse.

The onus is primarily on the players - there is no easy remedy for this but they have to shed this burden and shed it very very soon. By hook or by crook.

Status
Not open for further replies.