2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Manu, Arsenal and Chelsea could be within our reach next season. It depends on how we do in the transfer market though. Losing Gueye/Gomes/Zouma would be a blow and we need a top CF.

Consistency over the season, a genuine push for top 6 and a proper cup run. It's unrealistic probably to be in the mix for CL places. All those clubs will strengthen with better players than what we can get

Win 80% of your home games. Then see how the away games pan out. Take more points off the so called big teams. Spurs could end up 4th losing 13 games so it’s not out of the question to push on.

Cups are cups, you can have a bad day on the wrong day...I'm more concerned about consistent progress. 7-10 points better off than we were last season, we can't control what happens around us, maybe that'd see us in europe or CL but you can't worry about it. Points progress is the main thing, every year.

Agree with this. Pochettino did an interview the other day and basically said that of course he'd love to win one of the two domestic cups, but they're knockout competitions where you can draw a City for example or catch someone on the wrong day and be out whether you play your strongest side or not, so he's not going to prioritise them. He'd say similar, though to a slightly lesser extent due to guaranteed CL qualification, about the Europa.

What he means is the costs in terms of exertion and risk far outweigh the benefits of seriously prioritising these trophies. Spurs haven't been prioritising them and while Arsenal have been winning FA cups all over the show, Spurs have been rocketing past them and have now finally made it into a European final. They aimed for the top and although they'll be beaten in the final (either handily or in heartbreaking fashion), they're almost at the level they wanted to get to. They're one step from winning a European Cup or a league title, while Arsenal are miles off. If the fans are smart, they'll tune out the jibes of Arsenal fans about not winning anything (yet) and focus on the bigger picture.

What the learning to take from the last 5 or so years and what Pochettino is saying, for me, is that (whether we like it or not) football has moved on from domestic cup competitions. Look at how Klopp treated the FA cup and how Pochettino isn't remotely arsed about them either. It's the only way you can last in the top 4 while competing in the CL. City are obviously out on their own in terms of the squad they can afford to keep happy, and that means Pep can try to win the FA and League cups while playing a second XI, but they won't look good on his CV and they'll help City with nothing in the long term. He just wants a quadruple. City can afford to play every weekend and mid-week. Spurs and Liverpool can't.

I was fuming when we went out of the domestic cups this season, but having thought about it, I think sadly Silva has the right idea if we want to achieve what Spurs and Liverpool have done. We need to follow Spurs and Liverpool's lead because the only way we'll "grow" is by competing in the CL and until you're at City's level, all these competitions do is hold you back. I'm not saying play the under 23s XI against top 6 opposition, especially as we have no European football to contend with, but these competitions shouldn't be at the top of the list of priorities we should hold, in my opinion

That's why I only ask for genuine league progress next year, meaning finish in the top 6. The best of the rest trophy was the aim this season. Just because we didn't get it doesn't mean it needs to be next season.

I want a title challenge.

That has to be the objective in the coming years. Don't know how long it will take due to all the wasted funds under Koeman etc, but that has to be the ultimate goal.

Agree with this. Pochettino did an interview the other day and basically said that of course he'd love to win one of the two domestic cups, but they're knockout competitions where you can draw a City for example or catch someone on the wrong day and be out whether you play your strongest side or not, so he's not going to prioritise them. He'd say similar, though to a slightly lesser extent due to guaranteed CL qualification, about the Europa.

What he means is the costs in terms of exertion and risk far outweigh the benefits of seriously prioritising these trophies. Spurs haven't been prioritising them and while Arsenal have been winning FA cups all over the show, Spurs have been rocketing past them and have now finally made it into a European final. They aimed for the top and although they'll be beaten in the final (either handily or in heartbreaking fashion), they're almost at the level they wanted to get to. They're one step from winning a European Cup or a league title, while Arsenal are miles off. If the fans are smart, they'll tune out the jibes of Arsenal fans about not winning anything (yet) and focus on the bigger picture.

What the learning to take from the last 5 or so years and what Pochettino is saying, for me, is that (whether we like it or not) football has moved on from domestic cup competitions. Look at how Klopp treated the FA cup and how Pochettino isn't remotely arsed about them either. It's the only way you can last in the top 4 while competing in the CL. City are obviously out on their own in terms of the squad they can afford to keep happy, and that means Pep can try to win the FA and League cups while playing a second XI, but they won't look good on his CV and they'll help City with nothing in the long term. He just wants a quadruple. City can afford to play every weekend and mid-week. Spurs and Liverpool can't.

I was fuming when we went out of the domestic cups this season, but having thought about it, I think sadly Silva has the right idea if we want to achieve what Spurs and Liverpool have done. We need to follow Spurs and Liverpool's lead because the only way we'll "grow" is by competing in the CL and until you're at City's level, all these competitions do is hold you back. I'm not saying play the under 23s XI against top 6 opposition, especially as we have no European football to contend with, but these competitions shouldn't be at the top of the list of priorities we should hold, in my opinion

That's why I only ask for genuine league progress next year, meaning finish in the top 6. The best of the rest trophy was the aim this season. Just because we didn't get it doesn't mean it needs to be next season.

I do agree with all this. But I think the point about those teams sacrificing the domestic cups (because they are in Europe, which is also ultimately a knockout competition) is precisely why Everton should not be sacrificing them. There is no excuse about tiredness or number of games because we don't have European football next year. And playing those domestic cup games should not impact our ability to challenge the top 6. The bigger issue for us in the domestic cups is the balance between keeping squad players happy and motivated and putting out a team capable of winning.

Ideal = breaking into top sixth
Strong season = challenging for top sixth until the last few games
Minimum = comfortable 7th

I would say minimum depends on the teams around us too. If wolves keep players and splash the cash they'll be a pretty good outfit still next year. Likewise, if Leicester spend s big with rodgers I think they could do well.

As many others have mentioned, our realistic targets will be based on our acquisitions in the summer (also departures) along with how other clubs spend.

My expectation is that we build our level consistency in how we play and results, make ground on those above us and try to make a mark in all competitions.

If we really want to challenge the top six on a consistent basis then it will take a period of change that will last years, so a year-on-year improvement is what I want.

Ambitions should be to win every competition we enter, as Neville Southall said and I agree. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Realistically we need to see progress and improvement from this season, so more points or higher league placing and going further in the cups.

An assault on the top 6. Even if we miss out and end up 7th, at least be in contention for a top 6 finish come the end of the season.

I think Manu, Arsenal and Chelsea could be within our reach next season. It depends on how we do in the transfer market though. Losing Gueye/Gomes/Zouma would be a blow and we need a top CF.

They could be but we also have to remember that they will also have a much better chance of improving than we would only due to bigger finances. This is why the top 6 is so difficult to achieve. We most definitely need to improve just to grab onto there coat tails but by all rights they should also improve with Chelsea maybe being the exception because Hazard is irreplacable

I do agree with all this. But I think the point about those teams sacrificing the domestic cups (because they are in Europe, which is also ultimately a knockout competition) is precisely why Everton should not be sacrificing them. There is no excuse about tiredness or number of games because we don't have European football next year. And playing those domestic cup games should not impact our ability to challenge the top 6. The bigger issue for us in the domestic cups is the balance between keeping squad players happy and motivated and putting out a team capable of winning.

It's a very good point and I wondered if I should mention it. I guess the post would have been more relevant to us in the short-term if we were in Wolves' position and going into the Europa next season.

I tend to agree with the bolded, being an outsider looking in, but I wonder if Silva, Espirito Santo and Rodgers, managers of clubs who have been employed first and foremost to crack the top 6, with far less resources, would agree. I get the impression from Silva that he might not. I'd actually like to hear their honest opinions on this, but obviously we never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.