2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get as close to the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd as possible, fully expecting both to improve themselves over the summer.

> 65 points.

Hopefully a semi-final of a cup at least, depending on the draws.

The high-intensity style of football we've seen in the last 2 months for a whole season.

New players having the same impact next year as the new ones did this year.

> 65 points.

Hopefully a semi-final of a cup at least, depending on the draws.

The high-intensity style of football we've seen in the last 2 months for a whole season.

New players having the same impact next year as the new ones did this year.

If we want to kick on from where we are now, we need new players to have a better impact. We are crying out for footballers to take us to the next level. More of the same leaves where we are.

With the state that some of the "top" six are in , and the fact that the DoF seems to be having a positive effect (if the first window is an example) , then we should certainly be in the top 6. As we have no Europa commitments then 2 deep cup runs should also be expected ( dependent upon the draw etc).
That said , after the summer transfer window , we shouldn't be where we are now after this season.
Let's move on though !

If we want to kick on from where we are now, we need new players to have a better impact. We are crying out for footballers to take us to the next level. More of the same leaves where we are.

No it doesn't. If we get the same uplift we got from e.g. Bolasie -> Richarlison or Williams -> Zouma up front, we will have improved by definition. Why would we replace e.g. DCL with somebody no better than DCL?

And that's before you even get into all the other factors that should allow the current squad to accumulate more points over the course of next season than they have this season. Players getting a fuller pre-season together; them having had one year's worth of understanding Silva's methods; and so on.

Honestly, given our recent years you reckon that is possible? We'll be nowhere near any of them unless there's a monumental collapse.
We matched those teams mostly away and beat the majority of them home. Figure out how to beat the ones below consistently(not EVERY single time, mind) and why not?

No it doesn't. If we get the same uplift we got from e.g. Bolasie -> Richarlison or Williams -> Zouma up front, we will have improved by definition. Why would we replace e.g. DCL with somebody no better than DCL?

And that's before you even get into all the other factors that should allow the current squad to accumulate more points over the course of next season than they have this season. Players getting a fuller pre-season together; them having had one year's worth of understanding Silva's methods; and so on.

If you don't think the same set of players won't put in the same rancid form next time around then you're deluded. Throw in the fact every team in the top 6 will go on and make their squad better this summer and you've got us standing still again.

We need a miracle in terms of transfers, I hope it happens but I don't think it will. Battle with Leicester, Wolves, Watford and West Ham awaits next year.

Come out of the winter fixtures with at least an outside chance of qualifying for the Champions League. I don't mind if they end up falling short, as long as they make a real go of it.

It's something that I think would be beyond the current squad, but now is the time for Brands to show what he's got.

If you don't think the same set of players won't put in the same rancid form next time around then you're deluded. Throw in the fact every team in the top 6 will go on and make their squad better this summer and you've got us standing still again.

We need a miracle in terms of transfers, I hope it happens but I don't think it will. Battle with Leicester, Wolves, Watford and West Ham awaits next year.

OK, you are badly misunderstanding quite a simple point so let me break it down.

1) Last summer we bought a bunch of players who clearly improved the squad. Let's use the English language word 'uplift' to describe the difference between a new player and a player they replaced.

2) My point was simple: the signings this summer should also provide an uplift. If that uplift is of the same size as last season, that's good. If they provide a bigger uplift than last season, that's great. If they provide less of an uplift, that's still an improvement year-on-year. All uplifts are good. You seem to think that having an uplift the same size as last season is a bad thing.

3) If we do sign players that give us an uplift, then by definition it is not the same set of players!

4) Even if we didn't sign new players, why does it guarantee 'rancid' form? The conditions are completely different next season: more stability, more familiarity etc.

5) At least one of the top 6 simply cannot make their squad better!

I think we're in a good place with Brands and Silva; fully expecting some good business that will improve us.

Status
Not open for further replies.