2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really answering the thread title, but.........
us winning the Premier League wouldn’t be as big a shock as Leicester winning it, so why not?
I want the country to be talking about us the same way it did about Leicester.

not to lose 14 games in the league and have a good cup run. Minimum 7th, higher than that will depend on how the top 6 strengthen but I don't think we are that far away if we can get a couple of top class players.

RS and City are out of reach. United will spend big and ought to be out of reach also.

Based on our late-season form we are probably currently as good as anybody else, though. If we can get a striker, and either sign or get good replacements for Gomes and Zouma, then I don't see why we can't mix it up with Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea. United too if they don't reach the heights that are expected of them.

Goes without saying that a cup needs to be won sooner or later.
City and the RS are beyond us
Spurs will spend now
United will spend big , but as they have done that in the past it means nothing
Neville and Roy Keane have both stayed that there is poison in that dressing room
Sanchez hedging 500 k ( that’s 10 yrs wages for an ordinary Joe soap ) every week and not playing
Pogba wants away as does Lukaku and seemingly DeGea
Martial is a bit of a plonker by all accounts and a lot of players not putting the effort in
I don’t think Solskaer is a good manager and their recruiting is a mess
They are looking at Ferdinand and Phelan as DOF , 2 lads with no experience in the role.
Emery is a good manager but Arsenal have serious problems all over the pitch except up top where Lacezette and PEA have kept them in games
I’m not sure Kronke will release enough funds for Arsenal to challenge top 4 next season
Who knows with Chelsea
Hazard may go as may Willian and will Roman give them cash to spend
If we get recruitment right ( and it has to be perfect ) then a 5/6/ spot is not beyond us
But we need to sign Gomes and Zouma or equivalent early doors
I would have said 3 months ago that Homes was more important, but the way the defence has settled and the run of clean sheets I’d say Zouma is critical as he has improved immensely and got to grips with Xonal marking
A 15 goal a season CF is then crucial ( Pedro ) and an established RB Meunièr or Semedo would be ideal
Keeping Gana is crucial as well
If that all falls into place than 4-7 is not beyond us and a good cup run

I guess it depends on the business we do in the summer. There are teams above us that are there to be got at. Forget about City and Liverpool, but the rest are in a bit of a weird state. Chelsea are losing Hazard and have a transfer ban, Spurs could lose their manager if they don't back him, Arsenal need a brand new defence and Utd looked absolutely wrecked and can't even offer potential new signings champions league footy.

Having said that, I've promised myself never to be optimistic about Everton ever again lol
It’s the hope that kills you
I’ve seen too many false dawns over the last 50 yrs I’m supporting Everton

The minimum requirement for me would be to get 60 points.

We should be going all out for both the cups, no messing about with second choice goalies against premier league opposition again.
But I’m nearly sure we got 72 points recently
Or some lad on here is telling porkies

My expectations will be down to what our transfer business is.
Cups are hard, like. Semis minimum, plus a good push to break the rich 6.
This run in has seen Goodison become a fortress again, so I'd really like a great home record next season to keep that going.
I’m not really fond of semi’s
Annoying with no end product

Not really answering the thread title, but.........
us winning the Premier League wouldn’t be as big a shock as Leicester winning it, so why not?
I want the country to be talking about us the same way it did about Leicester.

Yes it would. Leicester won the league before the two best managers in the world rocked up and built their empires. For us to overthrow City and Liverpool right now would arguably be a bigger shock than Leicester.

It is minimum. A trophy, it’s dead simple
I think the issue is that fans are caught in this “poor old Everton” mindset; good cup runs, a little bit better in the league. The minimum requirement every season should be a trophy, whether that’s achieved or not

Aim for the sky you’ll hit the ceiling
Aim for the ceiling and you’ll stay on the floor

I don't think poor old Everton comes in to it. It is fine to hope for that and if you get lucky with draws it might come to us. Like this season, if we had got past Millwall then we should have been able to beat Wimbledon and Brighton, but we still would have had City in the Semi finals.

7 times out of 10 we are probably going to lose that kind of game or if we are drawn away to the top 5 in an earlier round. Why? They have much better players than us and probably better managers too.

What you're asking is unrealistic and if you were to follow that mindset it would lead people to being so disappointed after a few seasons that they probably stop following the club.

We should go into every match with the belief we can win that game and see where it gets us. But at the moment there is no chance this team is going to win 14/15 games in a row and that indicates there are better teams out there than us who are in a better position to pick up the few trophies on offer each season.

Win the league Cup, the FA cup, the PL, the Europa league, champions league, the superbowl, at least 2 golf majors, a tennis grand slam, the 6 nations, the Stanley cup, MLB world series, the Monica grand prix, the Indi 500, the grand national and the annual hot dog eating competition in Coney Island. AS A MINIMUM anything less is a failure of a season.
We would need to extend Ashley Williams contract to win the last one on your list

I don't think poor old Everton comes in to it. It is fine to hope for that and if you get lucky with draws it might come to us. Like this season, if we had got past Millwall then we should have been able to beat Wimbledon and Brighton, but we still would have had City in the Semi finals.

7 times out of 10 we are probably going to lose that kind of game or if we are drawn away to the top 5 in an earlier round. Why? They have much better players than us and probably better managers too.

What you're asking is unrealistic and if you were to follow that mindset it would lead people to being so disappointed after a few seasons that they probably stop following the club.

We should go into every match with the belief we can win that game and see where it gets us. But at the moment there is no chance this team is going to win 14/15 games in a row and that indicates there are better teams out there than us who are in a better position to pick up the few trophies on offer each season.

So having a trophy as a minimum requirement for next season is deemed silly?? Football is played over 90 minutes and the fact that you’ve stated we would lose 70% of those games heightens the mentality of this club.

The “elite” will always have better players so are we destined never to win a trophy then

I hope Watford have a better mindset going into the cup final or they may as well stay at home.

One of the main problems with us has been the atmosphere and general negativity around the club. I believe this alone has been a major obstacle in progression. I like Silva and Brands and despite having a difficult season we seem to be showing promise, we are playing decent stuff and the home form has been very good recently. We don't need to fear anyone at home if this continues but we have to improve away. Recruitment is obviously key as is a realistic approach, we just need to make progress and compete with the top 4. As said on here earlier Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Wolves are 4 clubs we should be competing with in terms of position in table, all clubs should be competed with in 90 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.