2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

My biggest criticism and concern of silva was his defensive incapabilities... But his recent stats have shown a vast improvement...
No kidding.

When was the last time we had a run of 10 clean sheets in 13. In fact, how many other Premier teams have done that in recent history.

Even in pre season, which I think at best you could call uninspiring, we generally looked solid at the back accept that second half when we had the kids in the pitch.

All successful teams are built on a solid defence. It may be a bit boring at the moment, but there are signs that our attacking play is starting to come together and when the new players get fit and used to the league I'm expecting us to do more than ok. Whether that incudes breaking into the top 6 I don't know but if we can get within spitting distance that will still be a big improvement in last year.

No kidding.

When was the last time we had a run of 10 clean sheets in 13. In fact, how many other Premier teams have done that in recent history.

Even in pre season, which I think at best you could call uninspiring, we generally looked solid at the back accept that second half when we had the kids in the pitch.

All successful teams are built on a solid defence. It may be a bit boring at the moment, but there are signs that our attacking play is starting to come together and when the new players get fit and used to the league I'm expecting us to do more than ok. Whether that incudes breaking into the top 6 I don't know but if we can get within spitting distance that will still be a big improvement in last year.

Whilst not his biggest fan , I have to take my hat off to him regarding the defensive transformation. It is quite incredible compared to the shambles we were , particularly in defending set pieces in the early part of last season.

No kidding.

Yeah it’s just starting to be picked up by the media but that stat is quite incredible for any team in the premier league. If we are able to beat Villa and keep a clean sheet then everyone is going to start picking up on it.

Defensive solidity is all well and good. Silva has sorted that out and has proven himself. However, that defence needs assisatnce at the other end of the pitch.

990 minutes of football played since the pre-season began and we've scored 4 goals.

It's a big problem.

For my money Sigurdsson needs dropping. He's hopeless apart form notching the odd screamer or two. Get Iwobi in there and see if he can add some punch and drive from that position.

Of course, Kean looks like he can be a player who can give us 12-14 goals this first season, so that will help.

Defensive solidity is all well and good. Silva has sorted that out and has proven himself. However, that defence needs assisatnce at the other end of the pitch.

990 minutes of football played since the pre-season began and we've scored 4 goals.

It's a big problem.

For my money Sigurdsson needs dropping. He's hopeless apart form notching the odd screamer or two. Get Iwobi in there and see if he can add some punch and drive from that position.

Of course, Kean looks like he can be a player who can give us 12-14 goals this first season, so that will help.

A full season of defensive solidity and he’ll have proven himself. It was my biggest concern when we got him, but last 3rd of season, and opening couple of games of this, it looks like he’s got a grip of it. Will happily give him the plaudits, if we carry on like this defensively.

Defo need more goals in there. I’m a big Sigurdsson fan, but in Brands’ interview he said Gyfli needed competition there, and I think you’re right that we might see Iwobi given a go behind the striker, which surely will be Kean after his cameo yesterday.

Think yesterday Silva got the subs wrong, we needed a grip of midfield, so needed a reshuffle for me with maybe Davies in there to help get a grip of it.

A full season of defensive solidity and he’ll have proven himself. It was my biggest concern when we got him, but last 3rd of season, and opening couple of games of this, it looks like he’s got a grip of it. Will happily give him the plaudits, if we carry on like this defensively.

Defo need more goals in there. I’m a big Sigurdsson fan, but in Brands’ interview he said Gyfli needed competition there, and I think you’re right that we might see Iwobi given a go behind the striker, which surely will be Kean after his cameo yesterday.

Think yesterday Silva got the subs wrong, we needed a grip of midfield, so needed a reshuffle for me with maybe Davies in there to help get a grip of it.
I dont think his subs in general are that great, tbh.

I think when assessing a manager you have to ask:

Is the manager doing any better than most with the players/money at his disposal?"

My answer is no based on him spending £200 million in 2 seasons - at present he's doing just enough however this season will show if he can push us forward or not.

Big concern for me is we have lost the midfield battle the past 2 games in the 2nd half and Pickford has saved our bacon in both games with vital saves when Silva should be changing things up during the game his in game management / subs are poor and never reacts to when we go under the cosh.

As @davek said he needs to drop Siggurdsson who is a passenger in this team at present and try Iwobi in there or even Gomes with Delph and Gbamin the holding midfielders.

DCL also needs firing out of a cannon he's utter garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.