Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Nothing worth celebrating

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Hibbert's 3rd leg

Banned as requested
Don't get me wrong, experiencing the brand of football we played during the 2013/14 season and the results it produced was exhilarating and refreshing.

In various football discussions since I have often brought up the season as if it were a stand out success, but then I realised the achievements rather summed up a mentality that when I think about it, isn't progressive.

Perhaps it is pessimism, but I think it says a lot that our stand out season since our Champions league season over ten years ago only produced a 5th placed finish, our record premier league points total aside.

And then I look at other teams who surprisingly knocked on the door of the champions league places. Newcastle of 2011/12 finished 5th, 4 points of 4th. Many pointer toward the manger's achievements, good football and exciting prospects (Sound familiar?). The following year they finished 16th. This is a situation we could have been in had it not been for Lukaku's goals in 2014/15 and 15/16. Then Southampton had a good season finishing 6th last year, just 3 points adrift of 4th.

In reality, the 2013/14 season means nothing. We both didn't achieve anything of worth or use it as a platform to progress, and to cling onto the season as some sort of entitlement, something I have been guilty of, is misguided. No denying our home performances against the top teams were superb, but a 1-0 win against a United side who finished way off the pace still showed we had a problem getting to the next level, especially going to other difficult grounds and getting wins.

In a peculiar way, the same squad and personnel who were a large part of that season are now the ones that are holding us back. For me, the potential of the squad is another thing that has been over hyped. The players have done nothing since to suggest they are of the same quality they were back in 2013/14, whilst our main competitors have improved far greater than we have.

For me, the way Tottenham have gone about there resurgence is akin to what I would have liked to have seen us do. Only when you are consistently challenging for the top 4 and then break into it can you be considered title challengers.

What do you think? Was our 2013/14 season really that good? Or was it a fine example of Everton failing to capitalise on the possibility of better things?

Amazing really but ultimately pure Everton.

Made up a what, 15-18 points difference on Arsenal and managed to bottle it.

Cs0yfXlWYAA-iRf.jpg

I think we should petition the club to change our badge to that.

For a while I thoroughly enjoyed both our football and had belief that we could go toe to toe with any club in the league, home or away.

Sure it didn't pan out and we bottled it in the end but "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all", still one of my favourite seasons supporting the club.

I even ended up having a strange fondness for that awful badge lol

It's well overhyped. We finished fifth, big whoop. Even supposing we all forget about this clubs history and decide that fifth place equals an achievement of some sort it still wouldn't be that great. We've done it a bunch of times under Moyes. I don't care how we played or how many points we got in the process, we still only finished fifth. It was an enjoyable season but let's keep some perspective here, it ment nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I said it at the time and still say it now. We won 7 on the bounce from march to April. It was an absolutely outstanding run but it was also totally out of character. We weren't great all season, but we had that run and another around Christmas that put a slant on our season. No argument that 5th is a very good season in our current state though.

I have went for "phenomenal" because going for "could have been better" might have implied a criticism of Bobby.

But why might it have been better?

Well, I maintain it was an Act of God which robbed us of the CL spot.

The storm which forced the postponement if the Palace game.

We would have battered them that night :mad:

As a whole season it was pretty average it just coincided with a record points haul. Pre season was really enjoyable despite not being the best results wise was great to see us up against big clubs and on a big pre season tournament.

Carried it into the league and did well football wise for the first few months, then it started getting a bit shaky. Went on a crazy win streak around march then finished the season absolutely useless which pretty much set in motion the next 2 seasons.

Partly moyes' defensive system and partly teams not expecting us to play like we did made us difficult to get a read on at first but by the end of the season we were pretty easy to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.