2004/05 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rewatching the season review from 2004/05. Some tremendous memories, but no idea how we managed to do so well with that team.

What was Beattie trying to do to Gallas? Never worked it out!
Was only saying to someone the other day that that side would probably be relegated these days!
Top four with a minus goal difference as well ffs! I know the seven nil drubbing at Arsenal after we qualified had a bit to do with that when the players were clearly on the lash but jaysus..

Gravesen, Cahill and Martyn where world class that season and the team spirit and never say die attitude after the hammer blow of Rooney departing was admirable all across the pitch. That was the very definition of a TEAM, something that many clubs these days which are littered with talent (ours currently too), need to grasp.

Just rewatching the season review from 2004/05. Some tremendous memories, but no idea how we managed to do so well with that team.

What was Beattie trying to do to Gallas? Never worked it out!
get out of the derby the following week if my memory is right I think!

Whenever people say "the table doesn't lie", I point out that season to them. No way were we the 4th best team in the country at that time. It really was a minor miracle to achieve that with such a set of players

Gravesen, Cahill and Martyn where world class that season and the team spirit and never say die attitude after the hammer blow of Rooney departing was admirable all across the pitch. That was the very definition of a TEAM, something that many clubs these days which are littered with talent (ours currently too), need to grasp.

Exactly, the talent of those players is always underestimated. Cahill Gravesen and Carsley were in top form and were physically dominating most midfields in the league as well as shielding the defence and providing goals. How many of our current midfield do that? Martyn was also far superior to Howard, the amount of one nil wins we got was due to a defence and keeper who knew how to hold out, haven't had that since.

Mentally, they were just a far far superior team to the current one even if the current one has loads more talent in the wide areas and upfront.

Exactly, the talent of those players is always underestimated. Cahill Gravesen and Carsley were in top form and were physically dominating most midfields in the league as well as shielding the defence and providing goals. How many of our current midfield do that? Martyn was also far superior to Howard, the amount of one nil wins we got was due to a defence and keeper who knew how to hold out, haven't had that since.

Mentally, they were just a far far superior team to the current one even if the current one has loads more talent in the wide areas and upfront.

Nonsense. We conceded 46 goals that season, in the 10 seasons following it we conceded a lot less goals on 6 occasions.

We've had far better teams that have been more solid and more creative since then.

You have to hold your hands up and say well done David Moyes.

Okay, it wasn't the most attractive football, but he done so well to get the midfield (especially Gravesen and Carsley) to smother other midfields, and we done it week in week out.

You just knew most of the time if we scored, we'd win 1-0.

That Palace game will always be one to savour for me.

makes me laugh that season.

It was a fluke and we only finished there because liverpool let us finish there. It was their place for the taking and after we sold graveson we nose dived results wise. If i remember right liverpool could have caught us easy but they dropped a lot of silly points.

and us finishing on 50 odd points, well there you go, no team should finish with such a low tally and gain champions league football. Midtable teams now get that tally! and the amount of points and game shas not changed.

That being said what could have been a massive fluke should have gained us a oppertunity to change things but sadly the board didnt allow it

Nonsense. We conceded 46 goals that season, in the 10 seasons following it we conceded a lot less goals on 6 occasions.

We've had far better teams that have been more solid and more creative since then.

May i remind you who was in goal for the 7-0 drubbing at Arsenal?

Howards been a great servant, but he's nothing on Big Nige. Wright played in goal for 4 games that season, Spurs away, Arsenal Away, Bolton away and Portsmouth at home. We conceded 16 goals... not a coincidence, and also 1/3 of our league goals against all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.