1969/70 League Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just done some reading on it, towards the end of the championship, Labone our captain got injured and Ball stood in as Captain, Ball was never a captain, though and his form dipped the following season, trying to play everyone else's game for them, haha. He was sold at age 26 at his peak to Arsenal. Mick Buckley a decent player from our youngsters, Catterick thought could replace Ball, a massive mistake. Henry Newton was bought as a midfielder in 1970, but finished up as a full back. Harvey was getting more and more injuries as I remember. But that team should have gone on a lot longer.
Could bang them in, could Newton. Gave our goalie no chance here

Could bang them in, could Newton. Gave our goalie no chance here

Franny Lee, Porky little 'ker - but he could play.
Sadly he was one of, if not the first to bring this diving shight into the english game.
edit; personally I was made up that Allison 'ked up City's balance by bringing in Marsh...another diver - cost them the League.

Last edited:
Franny Lee, Porky little 'ker - but he could play.
Sadly he was one of, if not the first to bring this diving shight into the english game.
edit; personally I was made up that Allison 'ked up City's balance by bringing in Marsh...another diver - cost them the League.
So could Colin Bell too

So could Colin Bell too
What I find somewhat odd is how much older players *looked* in the 60s etc. They weren’t actually older but you’d see balding heads (Gilzean, Brown etc) and a lot of people who looked like they’d been around the block a few times with lines on faces.

That Everton side and the Brazilian national side, what a time to be alive! Our teacher wrote the names of every member of the 70’ Brazil side on a Blackboard and made us memorise them! That was in Woodwork class too! :) happy days!

That Everton side and the Brazilian national side, what a time to be alive! Our teacher wrote the names of every member of the 70’ Brazil side on a Blackboard and made us memorise them! That was in Woodwork class too! :) happy days!
That Brazil team.were special. Was the first world cup I watched throughout. Always thought England had a great team even better than 66. That Brazil England game was a classic. My memory is that England matched them throughout th game and Bally hit the bar. Great save by banks. Great ball by Pele for Alberto to slot the winner. We should have got to the final but for a late collapse against Germany. Great Everton team. Great time for football

That Brazil team.were special. Was the first world cup I watched throughout. Always thought England had a great team even better than 66. That Brazil England game was a classic. Maybe memory is that England matched them throughout th game and Bally hit the bar. Great save by banks. Great ball by Pele for Alberto to dvot th winner. We should have got to the final but for a late collapse against Germany. Great Everton team. Great time for football
When you watch the amount of punishment Pele took, OMG! Nowadays people would be getting done for assault if the did half the things they did to him on a footy pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.