4 players from our history to transform the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APN_EFC

Player Valuation: £25m
Which players would you take from our history that would transform this team?
I'm considering the fact that not many signings since 2016 have really made the kind of impact that has made a big difference and if you could get someone on a 3 year deal today, in their prime, who would it be?

(I'm only going as far back as I know to 1985 but you could argue for any players you know of!)

I have probably forgotten loads of important players, but I was thinking of these players recently who might give us the right kind of shot of adrenaline and match Sean Dyche too- I'm looking for an old fashioned balanced 4-4-2 style team with excellent full backs. It's a sort of 'realistic fantasy' team

1-Leighton Baines - with his 5-10 assists and when he was in his driving forward mode
2-Gary Stevens
3-Trevor Steven
Both of these for an unstoppable right side, knocking in assists for
4-Rooney (the Man Utd version)

Just missed the cut
Neville Southall - I'm satisfied with Pickford but , you know - he's a rare match-winning goalkeeper, but then I needed a creative attacker instead
Mikel Arteta (as captain) - neat passing and leadership to drive us forward
Cahill - our midfielders are not like him and Cahill would at least make forward runs to score a few and get us going
Romelu Lukaku - we seem to have had him in his prime!

My team would be (assuming everyone fit)
Pickford
Stevens-Tarkowski-Mina-Baines
Steven-Gana-Onana-McNeil
DCL-Rooney

Sharp* Calvert Lewin
McNeil Reid, Ball, Steven
Mykolenko, Tarkowski, Mina, Patterson
Pickford

*if we're not going for the obvious WR Dean.

The immediate issue is a striker, two wingers and a left back.

I would have Baines and I'm even tempted to say Pienaar to play infront of him even though there have been way better players, just as a partnership they kept that side ticking and would open up space for others as the opposition tried to stop them. I'd have Kanchelskis and Rooney for the other two slots.

Southall
Kanchelskis
Trevor Steven
Dixie Dean

Clean sheets galore plenty of creativity and of course goals, don't even try and trump that

From just players I've actually seen:

Baines at left back, Lukaku up top, Fellaini or Cahill playing off Lukaku and Arteta or Pienaar to give a bit more talent on the ball. Having Baines and Pienaar at their peaks down our left was ace. Rooney at 16/17 still might have been better than all of them mind you, the freak. James Rodriguez was ridiculously talented too but sadly he wouldn't make it to the second bleep in Dyche's famous fitness test.

Which players would you take from our history that would transform this team?
I'm considering the fact that not many signings since 2016 have really made the kind of impact that has made a big difference and if you could get someone on a 3 year deal today, in their prime, who would it be?

(I'm only going as far back as I know to 1985 but you could argue for any players you know of!)

I have probably forgotten loads of important players, but I was thinking of these players recently who might give us the right kind of shot of adrenaline and match Sean Dyche too- I'm looking for an old fashioned balanced 4-4-2 style team with excellent full backs. It's a sort of 'realistic fantasy' team

1-Leighton Baines - with his 5-10 assists and when he was in his driving forward mode
2-Gary Stevens
3-Trevor Steven
Both of these for an unstoppable right side, knocking in assists for
4-Rooney (the Man Utd version)

Just missed the cut
Neville Southall - I'm satisfied with Pickford but , you know - he's a rare match-winning goalkeeper, but then I needed a creative attacker instead
Mikel Arteta (as captain) - neat passing and leadership to drive us forward
Cahill - our midfielders are not like him and Cahill would at least make forward runs to score a few and get us going
Romelu Lukaku - we seem to have had him in his prime!

My team would be (assuming everyone fit)
Pickford
Stevens-Tarkowski-Mina-Baines
Steven-Gana-Onana-McNeil
Dominic Calvert-Lewin-Rooney

PS
I admit mine is a bit of a 'the world started in 1992' team , but I was trying to see who would fit the current mediocre XI and my first easy fix was
Holly Trinity + Dixie Dean, but I thought - how's everyone gonna keep up with them?

It's really difficult as we need a lot more than 4. Also, Southall jumps to the forefront of my mind but Pickford is nowhere near the weakest link. So, I'll go with Ratcliffe to get some pace at the back, Kanchelskis, Rooney & Lineker for creativity and goals.

I'm also using only players I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.