‘The Everton Way’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidetrack subject but look at Eddie Jones England Rugby coach - he recognized his coaching methods lost his players so he adjusted and brought in a top notch defensive coach. Result an absolutely different level of performance and results from this same players.

No one football manager is flawless maybe if Silva recognized this he would be in a far better place than he is today.

That’s for Brands and Moshiri to decide. At the moment we don’t have any style.

My point is, there are very few managers who have been highly successful who want to take the job.

It’s going to be a struggle to replace Silva with someone of pedigree, and we may need to settle for someone who doesn’t meet your “highly successful” criteria.

Yes, I hope so too. At the moment it seems like we’re throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.

....not so sure, there seems a transfer strategy with real discipline in moving players out. There has to be lessons learned from the Koeman/Walsh era. We are in a mess, though, and there’s a real sense of doom and gloom that will be difficult to arrest.

My point is, there are very few managers who have been highly successful who want to take the job.

It’s going to be a struggle to replace Silva with someone of pedigree, and we may need to settle for someone who doesn’t meet your “highly successful” criteria.

You’re right in terms of actually winning trophy after trophy but there have to be managers out there who have done a great deal on very little resources in strong leagues like Germany, Spain and Italy. Silva has done nothing in any of those leagues and has been rubbish in the Prem. had a good start with his previous clubs in England then spirals into oblivion. Sounds familiar?

That’s for Brands and Moshiri to decide. At the moment we don’t have any style.
We do have a style it's a passing/possession based style, unfortunately we set up for a defensive style, our style and formation are not compatible with each other.

....not so sure, there seems a transfer strategy with real discipline in moving players out. There has to be lessons learned from the Koeman/Walsh era. We are in a mess, though, and there’s a real sense of doom and gloom that will be difficult to arrest.

You’re right there. We’re definitely moving out the deadwood and perhaps the strategy is to find unknowns, use the youth academy and then top up with quality here and there.

Maybe stop signing mercenaries for a start, players who are only in it for the money. The whole team is a team full of mercs but not the Man City types who still win trophies, no it's full of the lazy types that aren't bothered whether they win or lose as long as they get paid.

Agree, need a long term strategy and a clear vision. The strategy can’t be as inflexible and confining as the one proposed here, in my opinion. Buy, yes, we need a long term strategy.

What would be your strategy? Just interested and happy to here constructive criticism of mine. ;)

Unlike you mate, I’m not smart enough to even have a go at presenting a plan! I won’t dare then criticise your plan as such but a couple of the recommendations you made had me thinking about the downsides. For example, getting in a successful manager on only a 2 year deal and making it clear that he’s going to be continually performance monitored is unlikely to be appealing to a successful manager who will probably have other more attractive offers. It also encourages planning for short term success - how can you work on a 5 year plan for success on a short term contract? Also, if it does work out well you risk losing a good fit manager to a club offering more security.

I don’t think a plan should be as specific as to stipulate the required formation of the team. We’ve seen football change in style and approach over the last 10 years and would want our team to adapt to the changes to stay competitive (see Wenger at Arsenal for a sobering illustration of not changing with the times).

Promoting a set quota of youth players to the first team every year...I’d rather have first teamers there on merit welcomed in by the manager and team mates than squeezed in and ousting possibly better players just to satisfy a policy.

Also think I’d like us to be flexible and responsive in our recruitment. If we have a chance to get a worldie of a player who will take us to the next level then pay what we can to get him (who wouldn’t now pay £75m for VDV for example)!

Easy to rattle off constructive criticism but that deflects from your very valid and critical central message, with which I whole heartedly agree, a clear and intelligent long term strategy is needed.

Unlike you mate, I’m not smart enough to even have a go at presenting a plan! I won’t dare then criticise your plan as such but a couple of the recommendations you made had me thinking about the downsides. For example, getting in a successful manager on only a 2 year deal and making it clear that he’s going to be continually performance monitored is unlikely to be appealing to a successful manager who will probably have other more attractive offers. It also encourages planning for short term success - how can you work on a 5 year plan for success on a short term contract? Also, if it does work out well you risk losing a good fit manager to a club offering more security.

I don’t think a plan should be as specific as to stipulate the required formation of the team. We’ve seen football change in style and approach over the last 10 years and would want our team to adapt to the changes to stay competitive (see Wenger at Arsenal for a sobering illustration of not changing with the times).

Promoting a set quota of youth players to the first team every year...I’d rather have first teamers there on merit welcomed in by the manager and team mates than squeezed in and ousting possibly better players just to satisfy a policy.

Also think I’d like us to be flexible and responsive in our recruitment. If we have a chance to get a worldie of a player who will take us to the next level then pay what we can to get him (who wouldn’t now pay £75m for VDV for example)!

Easy to rattle off constructive criticism but that deflects from your very valid and critical central message, with which I whole heartedly agree, a clear and intelligent long term strategy is needed.

Re: 2 year contract. I get what you’re saying with that. It would probably suit an untried manager, which I wouldn’t want but i believe every manager no matter how good should be made accountable. Besides, what’s in a contract? Players sign 5 year deals and then leave after a year or two. Managers get sacked after a year of a three year deal. The short term thing saves us having to pay out over a long period of time if we were to be successful.

Re: football formation. That one I had trouble with. I’d say if teams start playing 244 in the future then a rethink might be needed but it does give us a way of attacking football we fans would expect. Although, I’ll admit, I’m basing my idea off the Ajax model.

Re: youth academy. The idea is that in ten years time we’ll have such a good academy that we can dip into our youth team and have first team players who are excellent or good enough to play for us.

All this is idealism but, hey. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.