2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really.
Will help not getting pulled here, there and everywhere.
Would also relieve him of the captaincy, not as any form of punishment just think he’d be better concentrating on his own game.
Sure he has done it enough times to be fine with being cpt, yes he wont have patterson's energy but i really hope he can show everyone who is writing him off wrong.

I ask because a recent injury to one can cause structural weakness on that leg.
Or can cause slight over compensation on the other side but the Fitness Dept (I know, even Everton's) would be all over that.
This was an injury sustained by sheer determination and an unfortunate collision. Could've happened to anyone battling for the ball like that
I'd be more concerned about him starting to hold back slightly over time because it must be very frustrating for him to miss out again

So Coleman was never a good a player?
Unbelievable
No. Read through the series of posts. Coleman has never been one of those players that had very few flaws to his game, he had a few. But many of his physical characteristics (bar height), so dynamism, engine, pace etc compensated for these. There is no shame in that, that applies to many players in football.

I say elsewhere that he was a good player, I also said I don't worry about him being back-up for a couple of games but with him the way he is now, I would be really worried if it is for an extended period.

People are very sensitive over Coleman. He has been a good player for us and a bargain at that. But he has been inconsistent for a few years now and this has coincided with his physical characteristics waning. The same people will be moaning that we aren't doing very well if Coleman is in for an extended period. Again, he is fine as short-term back-up but long-term is very problematic. He also had a variety of flaws - I also don't see the problem in saying that. The comment on his man-to-man marking was not to say it is literally the only thing he can do, but rather, that is his one remaining really top level attribute in my opinion.

Still no updates on the injury as far as I can tell. Just vague 'doesn't look good when a stretcher is used' 'hopefully not too bad' 'have to wait and see' comments from Steve Clarke. Anyone hearing anything else?

ACLs don't ruin careers anymore, especially for young fit lads. Ageing pros who have lost the desire to get back it may be an issue but the ACL injury is now 100% fixable in (I'm guessing here) 99% of cases

I don’t know, players come back from them but I’m not sure if they’re always the same. Van Dijk isn’t no matter how much the media spin it. People will cry ‘he was always rubbish’ but Bolasie’s ACL pretty much finished him as a top flight player and ended his career with us. Same with Mangala, same with Tosun, same with Besic. People may have had views on their effectiveness before but they went from getting minutes in the first team to being completely out of the squad picture.

Even as far back as Jagielka Arteta and Yakubu (can’t think of another club who has had three ACLs in one season), Jagielka bounced back the best but never truly had that lightning pace he had before. Arteta lost his edge, he relied on technique and became a deep lying midfielder that we saw at Arsenal but the Arteta who could play on the wing and take on fullbacks was gone for ever. Yakubu was completely finished apart from a swan song at Blackburn.

They’re career destroyers, there’s the odd player who has come back at a decent level but there’s not many who come back just as good. I wouldn’t trust any players rehabilitation to our medical team either. If it’s an ACL it’s a nightmare for the lad, let’s pray it’s not.

This really.
Will help not getting pulled here, there and everywhere.
Would also relieve him of the captaincy, not as any form of punishment just think he’d be better concentrating on his own game.

Every single time we’ve seen Patterson get his head up and roll a ball infield to a midfielder will now be replaced with Coleman spooning it down the line or out of play. It’s one thing weighing up their defensive attributes but Coleman can’t link play any more, his technique on the ball is utterly abysmal.

Coleman and Holgate are precisely why we will not progress with Patterson out. They are simply not of the required standard and have proven this over and over again in the last number of years. Patterson was developing. He wasn't of the standard yet, either, but he has huge upside and was progressing nicely. That's been set back now and the Chuckle Brothers are back to wreak their usual havoc. I think this injury - and its consequences - will set Lampard back big time come November.
I'm just saying that those two players can do a job in his absence and the performance of the team shouldn't be overly compromised with them stepping in. Under ancelotti we had a run of games that took us up to 2nd at Christmas a few seasons back with Holgate playing right back in a run that saw us beat Chelsea and arsenal at home and Leicester away (when they were good).

If Coleman plays the odd game too in easier home fixtures then it shouldn't be an issue. But like I say the main concern is that it slows Pattersons progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.