2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whisper it, but Calvert-Lewin has surely crossed the threshold for being regarded similarly to Yerry Mina: not somebody you can rely on to play consistently.

The manager needs to be weighing up whether he can really build around this fella, and should really be advancing his contingency plan in the light of this latest episode.
If we whisper it, you won't get the attention you so obviously crave.

If the club believed Dom is permanently injured they’d have signed Maupay + a star striker + possibly tried to sell him.

They don’t so they didn’t, rightly so. When he comes back we can’t have him, star striker & Maupay in this formation and keep everyone happy.

The fact you’re still in denial that Calvert-Lewin has injury problems blows my mind, honestly. We cannot rely on him long term, so we need to buy a replacement for him. It’s just that simple. Rondon isn’t good enough to be considered for even a bench spot either, so currently we have 1 striker for 1 starting spot for the foreseeable future. If you think that’s a sensible strategy then hats off to you.

The fact you’re still in denial that Calvert-Lewin has injury problems blows my mind, honestly. We cannot rely on him long term, so we need to buy a replacement for him. It’s just that simple.

I’m not in denial, he’s picking up niggles, I still think he’ll play the majority of our games this season. All I said is we couldn’t sign 2 strikers this Summer as we weren’t selling him this Summer. It’s basic thinking.

Well yeh but then it’s so you want a striker or a wide forward. Not many can do both. Even Richy couldn’t.

I think the argument of getting another wide forward was probably the fairest one. Someone like Broja who could play wide or also down the middle would have been perfect, and probably allowed us to move Rondon on.

The way they may look at it, is there are now 8 games until December 26th, and then another window, so hopefully we can muddle through.

I’m not in denial, he’s picking up niggles, I still think he’ll play the majority of our games this season. All I said is we couldn’t sign 2 strikers this Summer as we weren’t selling him this Summer. It’s basic thinking.

We aren’t selling him ever because no one is buying a striker with his injury record. So we simply have to buy a striker to compete with Maupay and if Calvert-Lewin is unhappy about that then tough. It’s football and we’re in the business of getting results, not keeping highly paid fellas happy.

I just don't think he can be relied on week in week out for 90 minutes. First things first, he needs to get fit so he can at least be a bench option, but I think it was absolutely crazy that we seemed happy to rely on only him as our only proper striker going into the Chelsea game and the new season.

It's not normal to pick up 2 injuries without actually playing matches. I think that's almost the biggest concern - he is getting hurt during his recovery from previous injuries and not from playing matches. We need to change our mindset regarding him. Rather than kidding ourselves that we can build a team around him, we need to look on it as a bonus when he can play. You cannot be so reliant on a player who has major injury concerns.

If the club believed Dom is permanently injured they’d have signed Maupay + a star striker + possibly tried to sell him.

They don’t so they didn’t, rightly so. When he comes back we can’t have him, star striker & Maupay in this formation and keep everyone happy.
lol lol lol

I'm certain they'll look to bring in another option in January.

Let's see how many minutes he plays by then.

It feels like a defining few weeks for his career, and certainly for his career with us.

Is being "Injury-Prone" something that's accepted in Physiotherapy and Sports Science or it is just put down to pure bad luck?

If it's not accepted then a player like Gbamin would make a good test case, and C-L is causing even more concern.

Calvert-Lewin and Patterson: we need in January a proper replacement for each. Neither Maupay nor Coleman are adequate for the rest of the season.

IMO Calvert-Lewin wont play again all season. Patterson will be out months...and a lad getting two major injuries after about 15 senior games in football doesn't make me think he'll be a long term option for us.

Keeping people happy is not our main problem. If a player is never fit to play then we should be planning for life without them. This is about winning football matches and moving the club forward. We don't owe any player any particular loyalty because the club has been underperforming for years.

I hope the lad gets fit asap and all these problems become a distant memory, but there is no certainty at all that will happen, and it would be naive to assume everything is just going to work out ok. The longer these issues continue, the less likely he comes back the same player as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.